Apr 19, 2010, 6:41 PM EST
Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that catcher Kelly Shoppach will miss at least four to six weeks after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right knee on Monday.
Shoppach suffered the injury while trying to block Curtis Granderson from home plate during last Saturday’s game against the Yankees. He was placed on the disabled list last week with what was described as a “sprained right knee,” however a report by Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune this weekend indicated that pain and swelling had yet to subside and that surgery was a possibility.
Dioner Navarro should get the bulk of starts in Shoppach’s absence and that’s not a good thing. He was a non-tender candidate this past winter after batting just .218/.261/.322 in ’09 and after taking yet another 0-fer against the Red Sox on Monday, he is batting .162 with two RBI over his first 37 at-bats last season.
With results like this, it wouldn’t hurt for Joe Maddon to roll the dice by giving 26-year-old rookie John Jaso some regular at-bats against right-handers.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)