Apr 19, 2010, 6:41 PM EDT
Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that catcher Kelly Shoppach will miss at least four to six weeks after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right knee on Monday.
Shoppach suffered the injury while trying to block Curtis Granderson from home plate during last Saturday’s game against the Yankees. He was placed on the disabled list last week with what was described as a “sprained right knee,” however a report by Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune this weekend indicated that pain and swelling had yet to subside and that surgery was a possibility.
Dioner Navarro should get the bulk of starts in Shoppach’s absence and that’s not a good thing. He was a non-tender candidate this past winter after batting just .218/.261/.322 in ’09 and after taking yet another 0-fer against the Red Sox on Monday, he is batting .162 with two RBI over his first 37 at-bats last season.
With results like this, it wouldn’t hurt for Joe Maddon to roll the dice by giving 26-year-old rookie John Jaso some regular at-bats against right-handers.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 171
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 70
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (172)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)