Apr 19, 2010, 12:54 PM EST
Miguel Cabrera turned 27 years old yesterday and celebrated with his 212th career homer, which got me curious about where his production at his age ranks in baseball history.
After all, Cabrera was a full-time player for a World Series team at age 20, has played at least 155 games in every year since then, and has never hit fewer than 25 homers, driven in fewer than 100 runs, or batted below .290 in a full season.
He still has another 150 or so games to include in his “through age 27″ production, but assuming he matches last year’s numbers (.324/.396/.547 with 34 homers and 103 RBIs) here’s where Cabrera would rank in various categories among players at the end of their age-27 seasons:
Games: 1,200 (20th)
Hits: 1,418 (12th)
Doubles: 287 (4th)
Homers: 243 (12th)
RBIs: 856 (10th)
Total Bases: 2,458 (9th)
Extra-Base Hits: 542 (10th)
Not bad, huh?
Cabrera may be overlooked at times because he’s never blasted 40 homers or finished higher than fourth in the MVP balloting–and certainly didn’t make any fans with his drunken arrest last October–but in terms of consistent excellence few hitters in baseball history can match him at this stage of their careers.
Today’s birthday boy isn’t bad either: Joe Mauer joins Cabrera at age 27 today and the reigning MVP already has more batting titles than every other catcher in baseball history combined. Also born in 1983? Zack Greinke, Jose Reyes, Hanley Ramirez, Justin Verlander, Nick Markakis, Dustin Pedroia, Ryan Braun, and Cole Hamels. Oh, and me (although my numbers through age 27 don’t compare so favorably).
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)