Apr 19, 2010, 8:26 PM EST
Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that Felix Pie could miss up to three months with an injury to his latissimus dorsi muscle. Pie was placed on the disabled list on Friday with a strained muscle in his upper back, but further examination on Monday revealed a more serious injury.
Orioles president Andy MacPhail told the Baltimore Sun that the injury will not require surgery.
“Left alone, I’m told – and they have significant medical information on
this – the thing will heal itself as quickly or more quickly than if
you did something on a surgical basis,” MacPhail said. “But it’s going
to take some time to go through the process that it has to go through.”
Pie, 25, was batting .400 (8-for-20) with four runs scored to begin the season. It’s a real shame because the former top prospect had the opportunity for semi-regular playing time with Nolan Reimold not yet 100 percent after surgery on his Achilles. Now Lou Montanez and Luke Scott figure to share time with Reimold. Speaking of which, Montanez is starting in left field and batting seventh against the Mariners on Monday night.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 2
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 29
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 89
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 44
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (92)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)