Apr 19, 2010, 8:26 PM EDT
Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that Felix Pie could miss up to three months with an injury to his latissimus dorsi muscle. Pie was placed on the disabled list on Friday with a strained muscle in his upper back, but further examination on Monday revealed a more serious injury.
Orioles president Andy MacPhail told the Baltimore Sun that the injury will not require surgery.
“Left alone, I’m told – and they have significant medical information on
this – the thing will heal itself as quickly or more quickly than if
you did something on a surgical basis,” MacPhail said. “But it’s going
to take some time to go through the process that it has to go through.”
Pie, 25, was batting .400 (8-for-20) with four runs scored to begin the season. It’s a real shame because the former top prospect had the opportunity for semi-regular playing time with Nolan Reimold not yet 100 percent after surgery on his Achilles. Now Lou Montanez and Luke Scott figure to share time with Reimold. Speaking of which, Montanez is starting in left field and batting seventh against the Mariners on Monday night.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)