Apr 19, 2010, 8:26 PM EDT
Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that Felix Pie could miss up to three months with an injury to his latissimus dorsi muscle. Pie was placed on the disabled list on Friday with a strained muscle in his upper back, but further examination on Monday revealed a more serious injury.
Orioles president Andy MacPhail told the Baltimore Sun that the injury will not require surgery.
“Left alone, I’m told – and they have significant medical information on
this – the thing will heal itself as quickly or more quickly than if
you did something on a surgical basis,” MacPhail said. “But it’s going
to take some time to go through the process that it has to go through.”
Pie, 25, was batting .400 (8-for-20) with four runs scored to begin the season. It’s a real shame because the former top prospect had the opportunity for semi-regular playing time with Nolan Reimold not yet 100 percent after surgery on his Achilles. Now Lou Montanez and Luke Scott figure to share time with Reimold. Speaking of which, Montanez is starting in left field and batting seventh against the Mariners on Monday night.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 53
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)