Apr 19, 2010, 8:26 PM EDT
Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that Felix Pie could miss up to three months with an injury to his latissimus dorsi muscle. Pie was placed on the disabled list on Friday with a strained muscle in his upper back, but further examination on Monday revealed a more serious injury.
Orioles president Andy MacPhail told the Baltimore Sun that the injury will not require surgery.
“Left alone, I’m told – and they have significant medical information on
this – the thing will heal itself as quickly or more quickly than if
you did something on a surgical basis,” MacPhail said. “But it’s going
to take some time to go through the process that it has to go through.”
Pie, 25, was batting .400 (8-for-20) with four runs scored to begin the season. It’s a real shame because the former top prospect had the opportunity for semi-regular playing time with Nolan Reimold not yet 100 percent after surgery on his Achilles. Now Lou Montanez and Luke Scott figure to share time with Reimold. Speaking of which, Montanez is starting in left field and batting seventh against the Mariners on Monday night.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 29
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 85
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)