Apr 19, 2010, 8:26 PM EDT
Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com reports that Felix Pie could miss up to three months with an injury to his latissimus dorsi muscle. Pie was placed on the disabled list on Friday with a strained muscle in his upper back, but further examination on Monday revealed a more serious injury.
Orioles president Andy MacPhail told the Baltimore Sun that the injury will not require surgery.
“Left alone, I’m told – and they have significant medical information on
this – the thing will heal itself as quickly or more quickly than if
you did something on a surgical basis,” MacPhail said. “But it’s going
to take some time to go through the process that it has to go through.”
Pie, 25, was batting .400 (8-for-20) with four runs scored to begin the season. It’s a real shame because the former top prospect had the opportunity for semi-regular playing time with Nolan Reimold not yet 100 percent after surgery on his Achilles. Now Lou Montanez and Luke Scott figure to share time with Reimold. Speaking of which, Montanez is starting in left field and batting seventh against the Mariners on Monday night.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 6
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)