Apr 19, 2010, 8:44 AM EST
Rich Harden looked horrible again Sunday versus the Yankees, lasting just 3.2 innings while allowing four runs on five hits and six walks.
He managed five strikeouts, giving him 15 in 13 innings overall this season, but Harden has also handed out 14 walks and more importantly his raw stuff looks underwhelming after years of still being able to overpower hitters despite never-ending arm problems.
Texas signing Harden to an incentive-laden contract with a team option for 2011 struck me as a smart gamble this offseason, but it’s looking more and more like all the injuries may have finally caught up with him. Harden’s fastball velocity has gone from 94.4 miles per hour in 2004/2005 and 93.6 mph in 2006/2007 to 92.1 mph in 2008/2009 and barely above 90 mph so far this year.
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 51
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24