Apr 19, 2010, 8:44 AM EDT
Rich Harden looked horrible again Sunday versus the Yankees, lasting just 3.2 innings while allowing four runs on five hits and six walks.
He managed five strikeouts, giving him 15 in 13 innings overall this season, but Harden has also handed out 14 walks and more importantly his raw stuff looks underwhelming after years of still being able to overpower hitters despite never-ending arm problems.
Texas signing Harden to an incentive-laden contract with a team option for 2011 struck me as a smart gamble this offseason, but it’s looking more and more like all the injuries may have finally caught up with him. Harden’s fastball velocity has gone from 94.4 miles per hour in 2004/2005 and 93.6 mph in 2006/2007 to 92.1 mph in 2008/2009 and barely above 90 mph so far this year.
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 1
- Update: Luis Avilan loses Aaron Harang’s no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 4
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)