Apr 19, 2010, 5:13 PM EDT
Old lefties are like zombies or something: you just can’t kill them. Take Ron Villone for example. He’s played for 12 teams in 15 seasons and aside from a little stretch which coincided with him doing things that got him named in the Mitchell Report, he’s never been much better than average.
But he throws with his left hand instead of his right, and that’s just the sort of thing that appeals to people. It appeals to the Nats at least, who have reportedly signed him to some sort of contract because Bill Ladson of MLB.com is reporting that he’s working out in their spring training facility as we speak.
The Nats, you may recall, cut Villone just a month ago. I guess watching Jason Marquis pull that seven-batters-faced-no-batters-retired performance out of his back pocket yesterday afternoon made ‘em think twice about getting reacquainted with an old flame.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)