So what's wrong with the Red Sox?

Apr 19, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT

As I type this the Red Sox are down 8-2 to the Rays, and are about to lose their fifth straight game and their sixth out of seven. In ATH this morning I wrote that we’d see a bunch of “what’s wrong with the Red Sox” articles today, but I didn’t see any. With this fresh debacle to the Rays, however, I’m sure we’ll see them tomorrow.

Ah, screw it. Let’s write one of our own!  So what is wrong with the Red Sox?

• Cold bats: As I type this the Rays game is still happening so it may get worse or may get better, but currently they’re 1 for 30-something with runners in scoring position (that one came courtesy of a Bill Hall single a few minutes ago). They’ve scored nine runs in the past five games.  Dustin Pedroia is hitting so far this season. Youkilis is doing OK too. Everyone else is snoozing. At least one of the snoozers — David Ortiz — may never wake up.
  • Health: Two-thirds of the outfield is out, Cameron with kidney stones and Ellsbury with his bruised ribs. This has contributed to the cold bats, of course, as well as some recently shaky defense. When those other “what’s wrong” articles come tomorrow morning you just watch: they’re going to say that the whole run prevention/defense approach is a failure. They won’t acknowledge that it’s hard to play good defense when two of your best defensive players are on the shelf.
  • The Competition: Like I said this morning, part of the reason the Red Sox have looked so bad over the last week is because their competition has been so good. The Rays don’t look like world beaters simply because they’ve been playing the Sox. They’re really, really good in their own right (I picked them second this year). Same goes for the Twins, who could run away with the AL Central if they keep doing what they’ve been doing. Getting beat by good teams doesn’t mean you’re fatally-flawed. It just means you’re not as good as the other guys.

But you know what? We can sit here and talk about what specifically ails the Sox all afternoon, but ultimately it may not matter. As soon as this game ends the Sox will be six games back of the Rays and 5.5 back of the Yankees. That’s an awful big hole for this early in the season in a division like the AL East.

So can what’s wrong with the Red Sox be fixed? I don’t know, but it may already be a pretty irrelevant question.

1. Nasty Boy - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Hey Big , you’re being too kind , this guy is a total illiterate scumbag.

2. dp - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:27 AM

Don’t make book on it . Those jerk-offs are finished .

3. Nasty Boy - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:33 AM

Your far off the mark , Ortiz isn’t coming back this year , or any other . He’s a roid head , and with the tougher testing , it’s over for him.

4. Nasty Boy - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Again Big , your right on . My problem is I let my hatred for the so-called nation consume me. Thanks for your insight .

5. Pistol - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:00 AM

No one could have said it better . Well done , that idiot (joethefirst) must be rowing with one oar , and no doubt a sux fan.

6. Mystic7 - Apr 20, 2010 at 6:02 AM

Sorry, Wendall, I can think of at least one Yankee fan that hates the Red Sox more than you. That would be that Puerto Rican woman from the Bronx who’s in prison for killing a Red Sox fan with her car.
    Whether the Sox come back this year or not, for now I’m going to enjoy saying Red Sox SUCK! and really mean it.

7. Mystic7 - Apr 20, 2010 at 7:47 AM

btw, of all the baseball fans that say that the Yanks buy their championships, Red Sox fans have the least excuse because as we all know, any free agent the Yanks didn’t sign would have ended up with the Red Sox. And while the Yanks didn’t make one trading deadline move last year, the Sox were gobbling up every player that came down the pike, starting with Victor Martinez.

8. TONY - Apr 20, 2010 at 8:13 AM

NO, COACHING, NO MANAGER, AND TOO MANY OLD PLAYERS. TAKE ORTIZ, DREW, AND FRANCONA AND SENT THEM TO SOME FARM TEAM.

9. gls - Apr 20, 2010 at 8:28 AM

BoSox are old and weary….time to change their name to ………………………..BoTox ;^)

10. talex - Apr 20, 2010 at 9:03 AM

What a moron you are. You make everyone in Boston look bad. Have you ever heard of Thurman Munson, Don Mattingly, Dave Righetti, Bernie Williams, Ron Guidry, Mel Stottlemere, Bobby Mercer, Dave Drabek, Alfonsio Soriano, etc., etc., etc.
    The 04 Red Sox and 07 Red Sox were nothing but free agents. We can’t be calling anyone out about high priced free agents. That’s all the Red Sox are now.

11. soxnationprez - Apr 20, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Here’s what’s wrong:
    1. David Ortiz is washed up and looks like Jim Rice circa 1989, when he couldn’t hit anymore.
    2. We’re missing Ellsbury. At least he provides a jolt with his speed.
    3. Mike Cameron is a career .250 hitter who used to at least be able to give you 25-30 homers. Now he’s 37 and can’t even do that.
    4. Scutaro is a decent on base guy who always seemed to kill the Sox when he was in TO, but he can’t play defense.
    5. JD Drew is in a big slump that is magnified by everyone else’s struggles and the fact that Drew is so laid back. He’ll come around.
    6. In light of all these things, Beckett, Lester, and Lackey have to be almost perfect. Unfortunately, all three have been mediocre and Lester has been rocked in all three of his starts.
    And for all those who talk about Jason Bay, note that he hasn’t done anything for the Mets thus far.
    The Sox need to do something dramatic. Out in San Diego, Adrian Gonzalez is languishing with a perpetual last place team. The Sox need him and his left handed power in the worst way. If Theo can pull it off (I think he will sooner or later), it will provide a much needed boost for this team and the AL East will be a three horse race again. Do it, Theo! Give up Casey Kelly if you must! We need Gonzalez!

12. yankeemike - Apr 20, 2010 at 9:21 AM

oh, i hate the pox at least as much you. but it’s too early in the season for all this loathing in bean town–i prefer the time honored tradition of the august swoon.

13. D - Apr 20, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Francona wanted so badly to bring his own guy in to be the hitting coach in 2006 and now he’s paying the price for that. Bring back Papa Jack, the one who turned Ortiz around in the first place, and things would get better.

14. Vern - Apr 20, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Never let Manny go are you on Crack? Talk about a cancer, cry baby, no hustle, prima dona. Oh, he’s still in his prime too!

15. Fecteau - Apr 20, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Funny, I saw how pathetic the Yankees were since they last won a championship (before last year’s, of course), buying player after player, getting rid of solid prospects and draft picks and you have the audacity to talk about how ‘pathetic’ the Sox are? I don’t even even feel the desire to fully respond, because, you, Moses, are an idiot. And not the good kind…

16. Pistol - Apr 20, 2010 at 10:14 AM

It just shows you how desperate sux fans are . The real mistake was keeping the roid head Ortiz , without the juice you can see how productive he is .

17. Wendall - Apr 20, 2010 at 10:19 AM

That woman should have been given an award , instead of prison .

18. longtimeraysfan - Apr 20, 2010 at 10:23 AM

simple answer…..They are not as good as the Yanks or the Rays…The AL East is a two horse team and the Red Sox are not one of them.

19. longtimeraysfan - Apr 20, 2010 at 10:24 AM

simple answer…..They are not as good as the Yanks or the Rays…The AL East is a two horse race and the Red Sox are not one of them.

20. YourMom - Apr 20, 2010 at 10:28 AM

@RMW – dude, take a Xanax and let it go. Stop preaching morality, it’s baseball!!!!
    I DEPLORE the Yankees, but you made me feel bad for them and their fans!!!!! Now, that’s a cold day in hell my friend.
    Here’s an idea, let’s talk baseball and leave the politics and morality and all that crap I try to escape from when I watch baseball.
    Stop trolling otherwise humorous comments.

21. YourMom - Apr 20, 2010 at 10:31 AM

It’s spelled “W-I-T-H-D-R-A-W-L” there is NO FREAKIN’ E!!!!!!!
    It’s called a dictionary people.

22. YourMom - Apr 20, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Yo Moses, I’ll show you some drunk Irish retards….. come on up to B-town and I’ll have a group waitin’ for ya…. it’s easy to shoot your mouth off when you can hide in your mom’s basement.

23. johnfromlowdowne - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:03 AM

we want the PedSox to go 0-162 every year.
    The PedSox? Look at your Yankee teams of the past couple years for people who have been linked to PEDs – Any Pettitte, Clemens, Knoblauch, Giambi, A-Fraud.

24. Fast Eddy - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:18 AM

OK, lets all calm down. I know the Yankee and Bosox haters are all out there. Let me give it to you straight. It is NOT TOO late for any team to win it all. The Yankees and Rays are in in control now, but it is a long season ahead. I remember the Yankees coming back years ago from 10 games back. I remember the Cardinals coming back in the sixties from 6 games back in the last two weeks to beat the Phillthys. However, this s not the problem here. As an uninterested person back in Feb., I wrote that the Sox were overrated because of the pitching and the fact that they had NO player like Manny or Ortiz to carry the club when every one else is slumping. Now that Ortiz is off the juice and is older and Manny is off the juice and gone, they have no one else. They counted on Bay last year to do the job and he didn’t. Drew is older and never could carry a team for very long at his best. Since they lost the best pitching they had, no one else has come in to replace them.
    Can tey come back? Yes! Do they have the talent to come back against the Yanks and Rays? NO! Not in this season or in two seasons. Somehing has to change big time with this team in order for them to win.
    FINI

25. CT - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:25 AM

It is way to early for these articles. In fact why don’t we forget about these articles and have the editor and/or author skip it all and tell us who is going to win each division and each playoff series. It will save us all a lot of time.
    The Sox are going to be fine. I am a life-long Yankee fan and I know it.
    To me the question really is: How good are the Rays? Personally – I thinkn they are good enough to make the Yanks and Sox WASTE appx 400 million on payroll. THAT is the question – not anything to do with Papi or anyone/anything else.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto