So what's wrong with the Red Sox?

Apr 19, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT

As I type this the Red Sox are down 8-2 to the Rays, and are about to lose their fifth straight game and their sixth out of seven. In ATH this morning I wrote that we’d see a bunch of “what’s wrong with the Red Sox” articles today, but I didn’t see any. With this fresh debacle to the Rays, however, I’m sure we’ll see them tomorrow.

Ah, screw it. Let’s write one of our own!  So what is wrong with the Red Sox?

• Cold bats: As I type this the Rays game is still happening so it may get worse or may get better, but currently they’re 1 for 30-something with runners in scoring position (that one came courtesy of a Bill Hall single a few minutes ago). They’ve scored nine runs in the past five games.  Dustin Pedroia is hitting so far this season. Youkilis is doing OK too. Everyone else is snoozing. At least one of the snoozers — David Ortiz — may never wake up.
  • Health: Two-thirds of the outfield is out, Cameron with kidney stones and Ellsbury with his bruised ribs. This has contributed to the cold bats, of course, as well as some recently shaky defense. When those other “what’s wrong” articles come tomorrow morning you just watch: they’re going to say that the whole run prevention/defense approach is a failure. They won’t acknowledge that it’s hard to play good defense when two of your best defensive players are on the shelf.
  • The Competition: Like I said this morning, part of the reason the Red Sox have looked so bad over the last week is because their competition has been so good. The Rays don’t look like world beaters simply because they’ve been playing the Sox. They’re really, really good in their own right (I picked them second this year). Same goes for the Twins, who could run away with the AL Central if they keep doing what they’ve been doing. Getting beat by good teams doesn’t mean you’re fatally-flawed. It just means you’re not as good as the other guys.

But you know what? We can sit here and talk about what specifically ails the Sox all afternoon, but ultimately it may not matter. As soon as this game ends the Sox will be six games back of the Rays and 5.5 back of the Yankees. That’s an awful big hole for this early in the season in a division like the AL East.

So can what’s wrong with the Red Sox be fixed? I don’t know, but it may already be a pretty irrelevant question.

1. joethefirst - Apr 20, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Hey assorted YanPee fans. Yeah, some real original insults (for 5-year olds, you dumb a*s yahoos). Good to see your panties in a wad. Heh, heh, heh, well bridge-owners, it has been real.
    Hey, YanPee fans, I still have left plenty of bridges that can connect your brains to the brain store. The brain store has a special today – you can buy two 25 IQ brains for the price of 4. For you buttheads, this sounds like a good deal.
    The Steinbrenners thank you for financing their lavish life style while you live in SRO apartments. Heh, heh, heh. Yeah, better get those 25 point IQ brains today.
    Hey, don’t run over each other on the bridge to the brain store.
    Heh, heh, night, night little YanPee fans. You’re just steps away from having an IQ of 50.

2. Big Harold - Apr 20, 2010 at 5:23 PM

“Of course, I am an O’s fan so I am bitter about everything.”
    “From a bitter O’s fan who wishes the game was not ruled by Sith Lords.”
    If that jerk that owns the O’s ran the Yankees I’d be bitter too. Maybe your just bitter in general. Perhaps it’s just Karma?
    And, from the bridge of the Death Star the Empire clearly does rule. As in Reigning World Series Champions. Suck on that for a while.

3. Nasty Boy - Apr 20, 2010 at 5:27 PM

I go along with everything you say about this asshole joethefirst , he’s a brainless idiot with the mentality of a three minute egg . I do have to correct you on one point though ,on one pitcher you called Dave Drabek , but in reality he’s Doug Drabek. Not a big thing , just want to give credit where it’s due.

4. joethefirst - Apr 20, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Hey, Big Harry Butt:
    Hey, be sure to get to the brain store before closing; even the display models will increase your IQ. So buy or, for a NYer, more appropriately, be sure to steal one today.

5. Deese Knutts - Apr 20, 2010 at 5:31 PM

ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz….oh, I’m sorry- we’re you done repeating the same thing over and over and over and over and over? The YanPee thing wasn’t funny the first time you said it- and that didn’t change for the 200th time either.

6. joethefirst - Apr 20, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Hi there little bernie boy. Do you wear really, really tight levis? I’ll bet that you’re outfitted in them every night in Times Square or West 29th street.
    Yeah, what original insults. Hey, do have a whole arsenal of such insults? I’ll betcha your tight-fitting levis that you do have such an arsenal and it includes original gems such as “Your mother wears combat boots.”
    Hey, get back on the street and start earning me some money, bernie boy.

7. joethefirst - Apr 20, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Hey, Nasty Butt. Yeah, go along, since you’re too dumb to think on your own. Yeah, Drabek. He’s a real big time, major league future HOFer. Gee how many other teams could’ve developed an icon such as Drabek?
    Heh, heh, Nasty Butt, better get to the brain store today.

8. Big Harold - Apr 20, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Once a jackass always a jackass. At least you are consistent.
    By the way are you capable of demonstrating anything that even remotely suggest baseball acumen? Can you even render a genuine idea or thought about baseball? Aside from your mindless dribble and insults you don’t seem venture anything that an intelligent, (like you’d know an intelligent person from a bag of hammers), person could concede as a baseball thought. Perhaps there is the problem? You clearly don’t have two brain cells even on speaking terms and therefore if you ever had a coherent thought it likely died of loneliness.
    Don’t be a jackass all your life. Take a few more years, give it a shot, .. but not your entire life.

9. joethefirst - Apr 20, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Baseball? Baseball? Naw, I just wanted to troll for some easy-to-hook YanPee suckers. Thanks for the entertainment.

10. joethefirst - Apr 20, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Hey, nutless, Deese. I’m sorry that you’re too stupid to know the difference between the contraction “we’re” and the word ‘were.’ Therefore, to show my sense of fair play, I won’t pick on you. Listen, Deese-knuts-are-my-brain, Goodwill Industries has some great jobs that you can perform. Be sure to get there today, my little YanPee fan.
    With all of my love and affection, your good friend, joethefirst.

11. Moses Green - Apr 21, 2010 at 8:18 AM

I cordially invite you to take those critical reading skills back to my post and read more carefully. Red Sox fans are the idiots, and everyone else panicking about a slow start when April still has a week and a half to go. I am not going to take the low road and hurl another insult back your way, but I am going to take a moment to inform you of just how totally incorrect you are. And that, Mr. Fecteau, is the one thing you really don’t want to be on these skin-flaying boards. Completely. Wrong.

12. JudyJ - Apr 21, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Moses, you are still the man…..don’t both with this low joe.

13. Deese Knutts - Apr 21, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Wow, that’s all you have, huh? Figures. You still haven’t answered my question about all that homegrown talent on those Red Sox World Series team.

14. Wendall - Apr 23, 2010 at 12:24 AM

That’s where your wrong Bernie , his dad has been banging him for years , that’s why this guy is so messed up . He’s changing his name to : joethefirstfag ,he likes that name better .

15. Randy - May 18, 2010 at 8:38 PM

I miss the commenters on HBT. Moose and the others, where are you?

16. Lisa crosby - May 18, 2010 at 10:51 PM

I love the O’s…they may be the only team keeping us (Red Sox) out of the cellar this season in the AL East!!

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3489)