Apr 19, 2010, 8:13 AM EST
We suspected as much yesterday, but word on the street is that in light of Mike Jacobs being designated for assignment, Mets’ first base prospect Ike Davis will be called up this week.
Are they rushing Davis? Doesn’t seem like it. He only a handful of at bats under his belt, but so far in AAA he’s hit .364 with two homers and a couple of doubles, this after a spring training where he never seemed overmatched by anyone. Compare that to the utter dearth of production the Mets have had at first from Jacobs and Fernando Tatis and you have to figure that there’s way more risk in not calling him up than calling him up, at least from the team’s perspective. And the guy’s 23, so it’s not like he’s a kid or something.
Davis is not strong against lefties, so figure that Tatis will still get some hacks with a southpaw on the mound, but make no mistake: Davis is the Mets’ future, and the future is now.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 0
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)