The Rays have jumped all over the Red Sox

Apr 19, 2010, 12:16 PM EDT

Everyone I know who has ever lived in Boston tells me that Patriots Day is their favorite day in the city. They get the day off work and school, the Marathon is run and best of all the Red Sox play a game at 11 in the morning.

Sadly for Sox fans, however, they were losing 6-0 by noon.  That’s where it stands right now as the fourth inning is just getting underway, as the Rays have jumped all over John Lackey. The big blow: a three-run homer from B.J. Upton that Bill Hall chased to that short bullpen wall, which he smashed into.  Hall took a long time getting off the ground after it hit him low. With Cameron and Ellsbury out, they don’t need Hall getting hurt too. Thankfully he seems OK.

For the Red Sox part, they have continued to not hit with runners in scoring
position (as I hit “post” they are now 0 for their last 29 in that
category).  There’s still plenty of time for the Sox to stage a comeback, but the way they’ve been playing lately, Bostonians will be taking advantage of the early end time of today’s game to drown their sorrows as opposed to prolonging the celebration.

UPDATE: Make it 8-0 on a Jason Bartlett double on which he made it to third on a Bill Hall error, after which Carl Crawford hit a deep sac fly.

1. Patrick - Apr 19, 2010 at 12:41 PM

If Baltimore win tonight, they’ll be just 1.5 games behind Boston.

2. AdamZ - Apr 19, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Man, watching this team the past few days has been abysmal. Pitching has been awful, defense has been awful, offense has been awful. Though of course the Bill Hall/Jeremy Hermida CF/LF is a far cry from Ellsbury/Cameron. I’m confident they’ll get it going soon, but they can’t afford to fall too far behind Tampa and NY. Just seems like this losing streak is in their heads, everyone seems to be pressing.

3. Mark S - Apr 19, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Loved going to the Patriots Day game with my family and then heading over to watch the end of the marathon. It was a great way to kick off vacation week and once we got seats directly behind the visitors dugout. Tried several times to qualify for the Boston Marathon (needed to run in 3:10, best ever was 3:22) as an adult in large part because of the inspiration I got as a child.
    Not much inspirational happening for Sox fans today but I am sure there is some craziness happening in the marathon. I recall seeing someone complete the race while wearing a gorilla suit … maybe that’s when Theo got inspired to run the streets of Boston in a similar costume.

4. JBerardi - Apr 19, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Because I hate myself, I’ve watched every inning of this Sox/Rays debacle. The Sox play has been mindblowingly horrible, and I can offer no plausible explanation as to why. A slump is one thing. 0-29 w/ RISP and Mike Cameron clanking balls hit directly at him… it’s just baffling (and more than a little irritating).

5. Darryl - Apr 19, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Who knew that the Red Sox would start to look “really old” before the Yankees??

6. Simon DelMonte - Apr 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I think the Rays have been getting too little play so far. Yes, the Bosox’ bad start is probably a better indicator of the long run than the Rays’ hot start, but it’s still pretty noteworthy how well the Rays are playing.

7. Evan - Apr 19, 2010 at 1:47 PM

I think the pitching will eventually come around. Were I Sox fan, I’d be very worried about their offense. When Ortiz and Ramirez were hot, the rest of the Sox got a lot more pitches to hit and took advantage. Without them, opposing teams can pitch around Youkilis and Martiez. Who does that leave to produce RBIs? Drew? Pedroia? Not all that fearsome…

8. The Rabbit - Apr 19, 2010 at 3:10 PM

The Sox are painful to watch at the moment. The good news for Papi is that V-Mart and Youkilis are hitting about the same so that should lessen the heat.
    Not that it made any difference, but could someone explain the logic in calling for Pedroia to bunt in the first inning given that Pedroia is the hottest hitter on the club at the current time?
    I’m not sure why you’d give away the out that early. It’s not like Scutaro hasn’t ever stolen a base, either.
    I know it worked for the Rays in the first (and I didn’t understand it there, either, unless they really believed they weren’t going to get to Lackey) but, at least, the Rays lineup behind Crawford has been hitting.
    This is a “curiousity” question, not sarcasm.

Three legends off to Cooperstown