Apr 19, 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
Everyone I know who has ever lived in Boston tells me that Patriots Day is their favorite day in the city. They get the day off work and school, the Marathon is run and best of all the Red Sox play a game at 11 in the morning.
Sadly for Sox fans, however, they were losing 6-0 by noon. That’s where it stands right now as the fourth inning is just getting underway, as the Rays have jumped all over John Lackey. The big blow: a three-run homer from B.J. Upton that Bill Hall chased to that short bullpen wall, which he smashed into. Hall took a long time getting off the ground after it hit him low. With Cameron and Ellsbury out, they don’t need Hall getting hurt too. Thankfully he seems OK.
For the Red Sox part, they have continued to not hit with runners in scoring
position (as I hit “post” they are now 0 for their last 29 in that
category). There’s still plenty of time for the Sox to stage a comeback, but the way they’ve been playing lately, Bostonians will be taking advantage of the early end time of today’s game to drown their sorrows as opposed to prolonging the celebration.
UPDATE: Make it 8-0 on a Jason Bartlett double on which he made it to third on a Bill Hall error, after which Carl Crawford hit a deep sac fly.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)