Apr 19, 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
Everyone I know who has ever lived in Boston tells me that Patriots Day is their favorite day in the city. They get the day off work and school, the Marathon is run and best of all the Red Sox play a game at 11 in the morning.
Sadly for Sox fans, however, they were losing 6-0 by noon. That’s where it stands right now as the fourth inning is just getting underway, as the Rays have jumped all over John Lackey. The big blow: a three-run homer from B.J. Upton that Bill Hall chased to that short bullpen wall, which he smashed into. Hall took a long time getting off the ground after it hit him low. With Cameron and Ellsbury out, they don’t need Hall getting hurt too. Thankfully he seems OK.
For the Red Sox part, they have continued to not hit with runners in scoring
position (as I hit “post” they are now 0 for their last 29 in that
category). There’s still plenty of time for the Sox to stage a comeback, but the way they’ve been playing lately, Bostonians will be taking advantage of the early end time of today’s game to drown their sorrows as opposed to prolonging the celebration.
UPDATE: Make it 8-0 on a Jason Bartlett double on which he made it to third on a Bill Hall error, after which Carl Crawford hit a deep sac fly.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)