Apr 19, 2010, 12:16 PM EDT
Everyone I know who has ever lived in Boston tells me that Patriots Day is their favorite day in the city. They get the day off work and school, the Marathon is run and best of all the Red Sox play a game at 11 in the morning.
Sadly for Sox fans, however, they were losing 6-0 by noon. That’s where it stands right now as the fourth inning is just getting underway, as the Rays have jumped all over John Lackey. The big blow: a three-run homer from B.J. Upton that Bill Hall chased to that short bullpen wall, which he smashed into. Hall took a long time getting off the ground after it hit him low. With Cameron and Ellsbury out, they don’t need Hall getting hurt too. Thankfully he seems OK.
For the Red Sox part, they have continued to not hit with runners in scoring
position (as I hit “post” they are now 0 for their last 29 in that
category). There’s still plenty of time for the Sox to stage a comeback, but the way they’ve been playing lately, Bostonians will be taking advantage of the early end time of today’s game to drown their sorrows as opposed to prolonging the celebration.
UPDATE: Make it 8-0 on a Jason Bartlett double on which he made it to third on a Bill Hall error, after which Carl Crawford hit a deep sac fly.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (99)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)