Apr 19, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
Saturday night’s marathon Cardinals-Mets game has everyone thinking about crazy extra-inning scenarios, so Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch asked manager Tony La Russa if he would have used Rick Ankiel on the mound had the pitcher-turned-outfielder still been with the Cardinals:
I would have asked him. I would have hoped he said, “Yes.” I never asked him ahead of time. I never wanted to spook him. I’d much rather put him in there. That would have been … fun.
Ankiel is now the Royals’ starting center fielder and hasn’t pitched in a big-league game since 2004, so instead La Russa trotted out Joe Mather to take the 20th-inning loss. Oh well.
Incidentally, after a rough 2009 season Ankiel is off to a good start in Kansas City, hitting .279/.333/.558 with three homers and nine RBIs in 12 games.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 12
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)