Apr 19, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
Saturday night’s marathon Cardinals-Mets game has everyone thinking about crazy extra-inning scenarios, so Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch asked manager Tony La Russa if he would have used Rick Ankiel on the mound had the pitcher-turned-outfielder still been with the Cardinals:
I would have asked him. I would have hoped he said, “Yes.” I never asked him ahead of time. I never wanted to spook him. I’d much rather put him in there. That would have been … fun.
Ankiel is now the Royals’ starting center fielder and hasn’t pitched in a big-league game since 2004, so instead La Russa trotted out Joe Mather to take the 20th-inning loss. Oh well.
Incidentally, after a rough 2009 season Ankiel is off to a good start in Kansas City, hitting .279/.333/.558 with three homers and nine RBIs in 12 games.
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 18
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 63
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (100)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)