Apr 19, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
Saturday night’s marathon Cardinals-Mets game has everyone thinking about crazy extra-inning scenarios, so Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch asked manager Tony La Russa if he would have used Rick Ankiel on the mound had the pitcher-turned-outfielder still been with the Cardinals:
I would have asked him. I would have hoped he said, “Yes.” I never asked him ahead of time. I never wanted to spook him. I’d much rather put him in there. That would have been … fun.
Ankiel is now the Royals’ starting center fielder and hasn’t pitched in a big-league game since 2004, so instead La Russa trotted out Joe Mather to take the 20th-inning loss. Oh well.
Incidentally, after a rough 2009 season Ankiel is off to a good start in Kansas City, hitting .279/.333/.558 with three homers and nine RBIs in 12 games.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (80)