Apr 20, 2010, 5:15 PM EST
Maury Brown has a list of all of the PED suspensions since the drug testing regime came into play. There have been sixteen major and minor league players suspended for drugs in 2010 (all but Volquez were minor leaguers actually). Of those, ten were pitchers. Indeed, since the advent of drug testing, the majority of drug suspensions have been pitchers.
Why then, do we continue to discount all of the offensive records that were set during the Steroids Era, and say so little about the pitching marks? Or, for that matter, why don’t we think of the offensive marks as greater, as opposed to lesser accomplishments, given that they were achieved against pitchers who were cheating at higher rates than hitter were?
My guess: people have a much greater sentimental attachment to the slugging records, the most significant of which were last set in the era of Maris, Mantle and Aaron (i.e. when the modern outraged sportswriter was a kid), so that it’s much more satisfying to assume that the new sluggers are the illegitimate ones, not the pitchers.
Going just by the numbers, however, it seems that the juiced hitters who have become the receptacle of our collective scorn were facing an awful lot of juiced pitchers.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 0
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 88
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 43
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (88)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)