Apr 20, 2010, 5:15 PM EDT
Maury Brown has a list of all of the PED suspensions since the drug testing regime came into play. There have been sixteen major and minor league players suspended for drugs in 2010 (all but Volquez were minor leaguers actually). Of those, ten were pitchers. Indeed, since the advent of drug testing, the majority of drug suspensions have been pitchers.
Why then, do we continue to discount all of the offensive records that were set during the Steroids Era, and say so little about the pitching marks? Or, for that matter, why don’t we think of the offensive marks as greater, as opposed to lesser accomplishments, given that they were achieved against pitchers who were cheating at higher rates than hitter were?
My guess: people have a much greater sentimental attachment to the slugging records, the most significant of which were last set in the era of Maris, Mantle and Aaron (i.e. when the modern outraged sportswriter was a kid), so that it’s much more satisfying to assume that the new sluggers are the illegitimate ones, not the pitchers.
Going just by the numbers, however, it seems that the juiced hitters who have become the receptacle of our collective scorn were facing an awful lot of juiced pitchers.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)