UPDATE: Edinson Volquez suspended for PEDs

Apr 20, 2010, 3:02 PM EDT

Edison Volquez 2.jpgUPDATE IIISports Illustrated’s Jon Heyman reports the identity of the PED positive: It’s Edinson Volquez of the Cincinnati Reds.  Volquez will be suspended for 50 games. Of course, he’s already out at least until the fall recovering from Tommy John surgery.

UPDATE II:  I have learned that the player to be suspended is a National League pitcher.

UPDATE
I have
learned that the PED suspension is NOT a New York player.

10:28 A.M. Baseball Prospectus’ Will Carroll tweeted this first yesterday afternoon, and I have since confirmed it with a baseball source: a major league player is going to be suspended for a PED violation, possible as early as this week.

I could not confirm the player’s identity, but my source tells me that it’s a “semi-big” name, though not a “huge” name.  I imagine that, once the name is revealed, we’ll have more fun arguing about what being a “semi-big” player truly means than we will wondering why he was not a bigger name despite taking PEDs.

Updates as they come . . .

1. Jonny5 - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Wade wins Craigs next freebie!!! Way to go Wade! Will it be a crappy book? A knit hat in the summer? windbreaker? hmmmm? Sorry Craig ;>P

2. George - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Nope.. Dermot way back in comment 72 had Volquez first.. we have a winner!

3. Jonny5 - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:33 PM

I’m worried myself, the dudes pushing his ERA to 18 so far. I’ll be drinking some Bass to ease the pain. Craig will be happy tonight I’m afraid. We have a Flyers playoff game tonight as well. Go Flyers!

4. scatterbrian - Apr 20, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Chicken dinner.

5. Fast Eddy - Apr 20, 2010 at 4:28 PM

OK, all that talk about getting into the playoffs this year. Nevermind. We are toast. The Reds were counting on him coming back strong after surgery. Lets wait until next year. Our Cuban defector Chapman just got bombed last night in AAA. Why are the 70’s over?

6. Rays fan - Apr 20, 2010 at 5:03 PM

props also for the humorous, yet nearly accurate portrayal excuse given

7. Utley's hair - Apr 20, 2010 at 6:07 PM

May chants of BOOOSH supplant CHOOOCH around South Philly tonight. I shall be partaking in good old lager, amid cheers of Utley and Victorino from my 4-year-old.

8. 11coreya - Apr 23, 2010 at 3:30 PM

yup. my apologies dermot. you win

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2530)