UPDATE: Edinson Volquez suspended for PEDs

Apr 20, 2010, 3:02 PM EDT

Edison Volquez 2.jpgUPDATE IIISports Illustrated’s Jon Heyman reports the identity of the PED positive: It’s Edinson Volquez of the Cincinnati Reds.  Volquez will be suspended for 50 games. Of course, he’s already out at least until the fall recovering from Tommy John surgery.

UPDATE II:  I have learned that the player to be suspended is a National League pitcher.

UPDATE
I have
learned that the PED suspension is NOT a New York player.

10:28 A.M. Baseball Prospectus’ Will Carroll tweeted this first yesterday afternoon, and I have since confirmed it with a baseball source: a major league player is going to be suspended for a PED violation, possible as early as this week.

I could not confirm the player’s identity, but my source tells me that it’s a “semi-big” name, though not a “huge” name.  I imagine that, once the name is revealed, we’ll have more fun arguing about what being a “semi-big” player truly means than we will wondering why he was not a bigger name despite taking PEDs.

Updates as they come . . .

1. Largebill - Apr 20, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Hate getting this HALF news. Now, all we can do is wait and pray it isn’t a player on our favorite team (Indians) or fantasy team. Though the way my fantasy team is going it won’t matter.

2. Evan - Apr 20, 2010 at 10:56 AM

How exciting! Semi-Big is someone who has name recognition but not a lot of trophies and records. Examples would be a guys like Curtis Granderson, Marco Scutaro or Juan Pierre.
    I wonder who got caught.

3. ditmars1929 - Apr 20, 2010 at 10:57 AM

You hear a rumor, you can confirm the rumor with a “source”, but you cannot confirm the player’s identity. Doesn’t sound like much of a source to me.

4. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Or it’s a source so well-placed that if he or she gave me the name he or she would be outed as the source because so few people know the information.

5. Jonny5 - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:03 AM

I’ll bet it’s someone involved with the Galea investigation, Like Jose Reyes.

6. eh? - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:05 AM

when will baseball clean up the adhd drug abuse going on? there is a disproportionate number (compared to the general population)of mlb players who take legally prescribed stimulants. are baseball players really more susceptible to this disease?

7. Eric - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:07 AM

“we’ll have more fun arguing about what being a “semi-big” player truly means than we will wondering why he was not a bigger name despite taking PEDs.”
    This player didn’t take them long enough to get “huge”, Craig. This player only took them once, and that was to battle an injury and get back on the field to help his team, that city, and those fan win/celebrate a championship.

8. Beanietown - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Well, thank goodness there are no “semi-big” names on the Tampa Bay Rays!

9. Ted - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:12 AM

…oh well that makes it ok then…
    *eyeroll*

10. ditmars1929 - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Fair enough, I suppose, Craig, but if that’s the case, then why report it now without full information? You’re just teasing your readers. It’s pretty annoying. When you get the full news, then report away instead of jerking everyone off.
    Hmmm, sounds as if Eric is your source.

11. Glen L - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Is anyone else praying its a Met, just for the hysterical (in every sense of the word) NY media reaction? … that or david eckstein

12. Mike - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Craig
    I am a huge fan of the Red Sox and Yankees (I know, I know, laugh if you must).
    Can you find out from your source if it’s from either of them?

13. Patrick - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Well it can’t be any Mets cuz they have no semi-big names left.
    POND SCUM!!!

14. RamboDiaz - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:17 AM

I bet it’s Jason Heyward. :)

15. Patrick - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:17 AM

please be a yankee, please be a yankee. Or a Cardinal so we can here TLR talk about how he knew nothing about it…again.

16. Semi-Big - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Semi-big kind of life… Aaron Hill? Travis Hafner? Carlos Quentin?

17. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:20 AM

I see your point, ditmars, but there is room in the media universe for partial news, rumors and gossip as well. I don’t believe in baseless speculation or running things you’re not sure of, but if there’s something like this I see no problem with running what you ARE sure of and making it plain to the readers that you’re not providing any more information than you truly are.

18. Ryan H. - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Jamie Moyer!

19. Utley's hair - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:24 AM

If it’s Milton Bradley, it would explain the rage—and it would give the Ms an excuse to cut him loose after they realized that acquiring him would, indeed, negate all the other positive moves they made in the offseason. Or it’s Nick Swisher—which could explain that haircut during the Series last year.

20. ctm - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:27 AM

ECKSTEIN

21. 11coreya - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:28 AM

somebody like a mark reynolds?

22. Eric - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:30 AM

My wife doesn’t understand sarcasm either.

23. Cheap Seat Chronicles - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:30 AM