UPDATE: Edinson Volquez suspended for PEDs

Apr 20, 2010, 3:02 PM EDT

Edison Volquez 2.jpgUPDATE IIISports Illustrated’s Jon Heyman reports the identity of the PED positive: It’s Edinson Volquez of the Cincinnati Reds.  Volquez will be suspended for 50 games. Of course, he’s already out at least until the fall recovering from Tommy John surgery.

UPDATE II:  I have learned that the player to be suspended is a National League pitcher.

UPDATE
I have
learned that the PED suspension is NOT a New York player.

10:28 A.M. Baseball Prospectus’ Will Carroll tweeted this first yesterday afternoon, and I have since confirmed it with a baseball source: a major league player is going to be suspended for a PED violation, possible as early as this week.

I could not confirm the player’s identity, but my source tells me that it’s a “semi-big” name, though not a “huge” name.  I imagine that, once the name is revealed, we’ll have more fun arguing about what being a “semi-big” player truly means than we will wondering why he was not a bigger name despite taking PEDs.

Updates as they come . . .

1. Jonny5 - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Why be a tool about it? If you don’t like the news, skip it, like so many others do. I would rather have the choice to accept the “news” or ignore it at my leisure.

2. Jonny5 - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:38 AM

I like this guessing game. I say Craig sends the winner his next blogging “freebie” he picks up as a prize.

3. ditmars1929 - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:38 AM

I can see your point too, Craig, but I guess I’m an all or none type of reader. If you have a full story to report, let’s hear it. If you can’t report the name, which honestly is the most important part, then save the article until you can report the name.
    I’m hoping it’s not a Yankee, but it wouldn’t surprise me. I’m actually hoping it’s Jose Reyes. And as for Eckstein, there’s no way it’s him. My seven year old is taller and bulkier than Eckstein.

4. Evan - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I think humor would ensue if it were Jamie Moyer or Tim Wakefield…

5. BC - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Watch it be Reyes or Beltran. What else can go wrong with my Mets?

6. SeaDogStat - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Your wife is Ted? Nttatwwt :-)

7. YankeesfanLen - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Someone said Curtis Granderson and I take offense. He’s big time here at the Universe from the get-go. Hope it’s not (and don’t see how it can) be him. Swisher is just a silly-boy, but he’s OUR Silly-boy, kind of like Chumlee on Pawn Stars.

8. ThatGuy - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Minnesota would implode on itself if it was Joe Mauer… but seeing as how they said semi-big its not.

9. Gigantic Phil - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:53 AM

@ditmars
    the eckstein thing was a joke. it’s like saying jose canseco was first injected by wally joyner.
    also, i for one think it’s adam lind, which makes me sad.

10. Evan - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Bah, Granderson has worn a Yankee uniform for less than a month. He isn’t “big time” yet and he sure as hell isn’t a “true Yankee.” I don’t even consider Swisher, Sabathia, Texiera or Burnett “true Yankees” yet. I bet Posada still makes them all wear shaving creme dresses in the locker room.

11. 11coreya - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:08 PM

when can we expect this suspension to become public? and is it anyone from boston?

12. 11coreya - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:09 PM

when can we expect this suspension to become public? and is it any one from boston?

13. miket5 - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:14 PM

heard it was a pitcher

14. ThatGuy - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:14 PM

15. Trevor B - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:21 PM

THIS JUST IN! FRANCISCO LIRIANO HAS BEEN SUSPENDED FOR PED USE!
    Actually that is a joke. I like how half the comments on here could be avoided if people would read that it is not a New York Player though. :-)

16. YankeesfanLen - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Get with the program, anyone who comes and performs well is a Yankee, and Javy will be there soon. Not willing to wait for a “core four” to bequeath them this honor, they might have just been misguided by their choice of uniform by decision or destiny before being called to the Universe.

17. 11coreya - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:30 PM

liriano would make sense

18. David - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:30 PM

ThatGuy has made me think of a great game: What player/players would most make his fan base implode? Let’s get started…
    Minnesota: Mauer, or Justin Morneau. Honorable mention to Michael Cuddyer.
    Detroit: Justin Verlander
    Seattle: Hmm…King Felix, or Death to Flying Things?
    Kansas City: Greinke. Duh.
    St. Louis: Pujols. Duh.
    Yankees: Jeter
    Red Sox: All-he-does-is-play-hard Pedroia
    Mets: No one cares.
    Rays: Longoria
    Atlanta: Heyward (would this be a bigger deal than Mauer in Minny?)
    anyone else?

19. sam-1105479 - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Well I for one don’t like to guess, however, since everyone else is chiming in, I’ll say it’s “Tommy Lasorta” so there.

20. Jonny5 - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Was that Player or Playa ? Because the entire Mets staff are a bunch of Playas.

21. tyler - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM

“it’s a ‘semi-big’ name, though not a ‘huge’ name.”
    I assume this means Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Troy Tulowitzki, and Jack Cust are safe. I’ll say…..Josh Willingham. Four syllables sounds about right to me.

22. IdahoMariner - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:44 PM

It seems others didn’t get your humor…but I, for one, thought it was awesome.

23. Donovan - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Not Grandy … he’s legit. Plus … article says it’s NOT a NY player.

24. Evan - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Javy? Are you kidding me? Is your memory that short? Do you even remember 2004? Javy was Mr. Meatball in the 2004 playoffs. On top of that he had a regular season ERA of just below 5. We would have been better off with Nick Johnson on the mound…
    In other news, there should be written test to become a Yankee fan.

25. Joey B - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:53 PM

“I see your point, ditmars, but there is room in the media universe for partial news, rumors and gossip as well.”
    I agree. As long as you disclaim by adding ‘rumor’, and you’re not mentioning names whcih could destroy reputations, then that allows the reader to read it or not. It should be interesting. It should have the effect of discouraging others if they see someone else being caught.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3332)