UPDATE: Edinson Volquez suspended for PEDs

Apr 20, 2010, 3:02 PM EDT

Edison Volquez 2.jpgUPDATE IIISports Illustrated’s Jon Heyman reports the identity of the PED positive: It’s Edinson Volquez of the Cincinnati Reds.  Volquez will be suspended for 50 games. Of course, he’s already out at least until the fall recovering from Tommy John surgery.

UPDATE II:  I have learned that the player to be suspended is a National League pitcher.

UPDATE
I have
learned that the PED suspension is NOT a New York player.

10:28 A.M. Baseball Prospectus’ Will Carroll tweeted this first yesterday afternoon, and I have since confirmed it with a baseball source: a major league player is going to be suspended for a PED violation, possible as early as this week.

I could not confirm the player’s identity, but my source tells me that it’s a “semi-big” name, though not a “huge” name.  I imagine that, once the name is revealed, we’ll have more fun arguing about what being a “semi-big” player truly means than we will wondering why he was not a bigger name despite taking PEDs.

Updates as they come . . .

1. IdahoMariner - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:56 PM

“ThatGuy has made me think of a great game: What player/players would most make his fan base implode?”
    Seattle: also — Griffey (unthinkable), and Ichiro (which would be almost awesome, just for how it would throw off all of those who are sure they “know em when they see em”)
    Giants: Lincecum (and almost awesome for same reason as for Ichiro, above)
    Texas: Hamilton
    Pirates: …. (sound of crickets)

2. G - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Well, its pretty obviously Eckstein…didn’t you see the walk-off?

3. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Javy? Are you kidding me? Is your memory that short? Do you even remember 2004? Javy was Mr. Meatball in the 2004 playoffs. On top of that he had a regular season ERA of just below 5. We would have been better off with Nick Johnson on the mound…

He has a career 15.2IP in the Postseason. That’s a pretty rickety stand to hang your hat on regarding performance.
    As I mentioned in the last thread about booing him, Vazquez was 10-5 with a mid 3ERA through the all-star break, and then hurt his shoulder in the second half.

In other news, there should be written test to become a Yankee fan.

You think there are such things as “True Yankees”, I wouldn’t talk about taking a test when referencing such idiotic ideas.

4. jwb - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I’m thinking along the same lines as you, tyler. Ryan Rowland-Smith: Name is too big. Pete Orr, Adam Lind: Too small. . .

5. David - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Evan, if there was a test, you would fail. “True Yankees” by itself is a baloney term, and even worse, you aren’t going to let guys who won the World Series with the team in to this fictional club. I’m sure you’ll say “they didn’t come up with the team,” but then knowing your type of Yankee fan, you’ll hypocritically claim Tino, O’Neill, and Brosius are in fact “True Yankees.”
    Do YOU remember 2004? Derek Jeter batted .200 with 1 XBH.

6. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Just updated the post. The suspended player is a NL Pitcher.

7. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Ouch Craig, from Rob Neyer’s chat:

Rob Neyer (12:27 PM)
    Ah, sources … Since when did Craig have them? Maybe if he spent more time on important matters I wouldn’t be kicking his tail in Rob Neyer Baseball playoffs. #shamelessplugpluslie

8. Wondering - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Hafner is an EXCELLENT candidate…….

9. HBG - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Captcha: analyzing papooses…
    National League pitcher…
    OMG, it’s Tommy Hanson!

10. The Great Dane - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Ubaldo Jimenez?

11. Nick Punto - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:07 PM

I admit it… it was me.
    Sorry guys :(

12. jake - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Arroyo

13. Dave - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:09 PM

It’s obviously Livan Hernandez.

14. dbk51 - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:09 PM

My money is on Big Z- the timing is perfect. He shed a lot of fat in the off-season.

15. IdahoMariner - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:09 PM

“The suspended player is a NL Pitcher.”
    so it IS Jamie Moyer! Evan wins!

16. enough already - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Halladay… Halladay…Halladay… I wishing could make it so.

17. King David - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:12 PM

They say your skull gets larger if you take steroids!Why has MLB never punished Don Zimmer, probable because he was a Yankee!

18. gumbercules - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:13 PM

This has to be Bronson Arroyo, right?

19. matt - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:13 PM

my money is on wandy

20. Cheap Seat Chronicles - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Brad Penny?
    Josh Johnson?
    Matt Cain?
    Carlos Zambrano?
    Wandy Rodriguez?
    Jeff Francis?
    Chris Young?

21. DK in Erie PA - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:16 PM

My guess would be Bronson Arroyo. Went on-the-record about skirting supplements this off-season, think MLB got him.

22. Dermot - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:16 PM

I’m gonna guess Edinson Voloquez.

23. Herbygee - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Obviously, you didn’t read the updates. And, no, the Mets have enough trouble. But thanks for being a jerk.

24. random - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:16 PM

LOL if it were lincecum. he’s probably using his PED today

25. Ted - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:17 PM

we’ve been trying to keep our love a secret.

Ace-killer Giants do it again