UPDATE: Edinson Volquez suspended for PEDs

Apr 20, 2010, 3:02 PM EST

Edison Volquez 2.jpgUPDATE IIISports Illustrated’s Jon Heyman reports the identity of the PED positive: It’s Edinson Volquez of the Cincinnati Reds.  Volquez will be suspended for 50 games. Of course, he’s already out at least until the fall recovering from Tommy John surgery.

UPDATE II:  I have learned that the player to be suspended is a National League pitcher.

UPDATE
I have
learned that the PED suspension is NOT a New York player.

10:28 A.M. Baseball Prospectus’ Will Carroll tweeted this first yesterday afternoon, and I have since confirmed it with a baseball source: a major league player is going to be suspended for a PED violation, possible as early as this week.

I could not confirm the player’s identity, but my source tells me that it’s a “semi-big” name, though not a “huge” name.  I imagine that, once the name is revealed, we’ll have more fun arguing about what being a “semi-big” player truly means than we will wondering why he was not a bigger name despite taking PEDs.

Updates as they come . . .

1. Alex - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Jamie Moyer!

2. phantom - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Like God has anything to do with your favorite player being suspended.

3. Gerard - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I’m agreeing with Brandon. I’ll put $10 on Bronson Arroyo.

4. Frank The Tank - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Kyle Lohse

5. BC - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Zambrano is my guess.

6. Spike - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:55 PM

On behalf of Atlanta fans everywhere, please let it be Derek Lowe.

7. GC15 - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Vicente Padilla
    Randy Wolf
    Brad Penny
    Bronson Arroyo

8. Stultus Magnus - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Ha! Yes, he looks like his eyes are ready to explode…all the time.

9. KR - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Jason Marquis!

10. LT - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Shameless guesswork:
    Penny
    Broxton
    Gallardo
    Sanchez (no-no = semi big?)
    zambrano
    lidge
    harang
    webb
    nolasco

11. Harry - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:08 PM

I don’t see it being Arroyo; his stats aren’t good enough to suggest PEDs. Gallardo has been very good and inconsistent, but I think he’s too big a name. But possibly. Sanchez isn’t a big enough name.
    I think the most solid guesses are Way-Rod and Gallardo.

12. Jonny5 - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Please don’t be a Phillie, Please don’t be a Phillie, Please don’t be a Phillie, Please don’t be a Phillie,Please don’t be a Phillie, Please don’t be a Phillie,Please don’t be a Phillie, Please don’t be a Phillie,Please don’t be a Phillie, Please don’t be a Phillie,Please don’t be a Phillie, Please don’t be a Phillie,Please don’t be a Phillie, Please don’t be a Phillie, Please don’t be a Phillie, Please don’t be a Phillie,Please don’t be a Phillie, Please don’t be a Phillie,Please don’t be a Phillie, Please don’t be a Phillie,Please don’t be a Phillie, Please don’t be a Phillie,Please don’t be a Phillie, Please don’t be a Phillie,Please don’t be a Phillie, Please don’t be a Phillie, Please don’t be a Phillie, Please don’t be a Phillie,Please don’t be a Phillie, Please don’t be a Phillie,Please don’t be a Phillie, Please don’t be a Phillie,Please don’t be a Phillie, Please don’t be a Phillie,Please don’t be a Phillie, Please don’t be a Phillie,

13. ATRUEJaysFan - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:15 PM

My money is on either Cris Carpenter, Bronson Arroyo or Chad Billingsly if it’s a started. If it’s a reliever, I am going Hoffman, Samardzija or Gagne (who conveniently just retired…)

14. Brad - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Definitely Arroyo

15. Shawn - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:17 PM

If it’s a starter, my money goes on:
    Carpenter, Arroyo or Billingsly.
    If it’s a reliever, my money goes on:
    Hoffman, Samardzija or Gagne (hmmm, he conveniently just retired…)

16. Jonny5 - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:17 PM

I’ll piss myself laughing if it’s K-rod. I hate that guy.

17. Joe - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:20 PM

At the risk of being non politically correct, it’s almost always a Latino pitcher.
    I’m guessing Jorge DeLaRosa of Colorado. That would suck for Rockies fans.
    Other possibilities:
    Wandy Rodriguez
    Livan Hernandez
    Oliver Perez

18. 11coreya - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:26 PM

arroyo, penny and harang (contract years)
    marquis
    zambrano
    ian snell anyone?

19. OB - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Agree with Marquis.

20. Howie - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Please Please Please be a Phillie

21. IdahoMariner - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Gdub and phillies10 and Herbygee and whoever else I am missing — you get that you are replying to (and mocking) comments that they made BEFORE the updates came out, right?

22. jesus montero - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:30 PM

ZAMBRANO. Its already on a few cub blogs.

23. Utley's hair - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:30 PM

What Phillie would it be?
    –No way it’s Moyer, especially after he ripped AFraud like that.
    –Hollywood Hamels? Not a chance–besides, he’s not “semi-big.”
    –Doc’s more of a semi than semi-big.
    –Happ? I doubt it, though he does fit into the semi-big category.
    –Kendrick? Only if PEDs inflate your ERA and shrivel your innings pitched.
    –Bullpen? I don’t see anyone there that is in this undefined semi-big category.

24. Fast Eddy - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:35 PM

I know that was a guess, however, it could be a great one. I was always suspicious last year after his amazing comeback from a dismal season in the start.

25. crazyguy - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:35 PM