Apr 20, 2010, 3:02 PM EST
UPDATE III: Sports Illustrated’s Jon Heyman reports the identity of the PED positive: It’s Edinson Volquez of the Cincinnati Reds. Volquez will be suspended for 50 games. Of course, he’s already out at least until the fall recovering from Tommy John surgery.
UPDATE II: I have learned that the player to be suspended is a National League pitcher.
learned that the PED suspension is NOT a New York player.
10:28 A.M. Baseball Prospectus’ Will Carroll tweeted this first yesterday afternoon, and I have since confirmed it with a baseball source: a major league player is going to be suspended for a PED violation, possible as early as this week.
I could not confirm the player’s identity, but my source tells me that it’s a “semi-big” name, though not a “huge” name. I imagine that, once the name is revealed, we’ll have more fun arguing about what being a “semi-big” player truly means than we will wondering why he was not a bigger name despite taking PEDs.
Updates as they come . . .
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)