Apr 20, 2010, 3:02 PM EDT
UPDATE III: Sports Illustrated’s Jon Heyman reports the identity of the PED positive: It’s Edinson Volquez of the Cincinnati Reds. Volquez will be suspended for 50 games. Of course, he’s already out at least until the fall recovering from Tommy John surgery.
UPDATE II: I have learned that the player to be suspended is a National League pitcher.
learned that the PED suspension is NOT a New York player.
10:28 A.M. Baseball Prospectus’ Will Carroll tweeted this first yesterday afternoon, and I have since confirmed it with a baseball source: a major league player is going to be suspended for a PED violation, possible as early as this week.
I could not confirm the player’s identity, but my source tells me that it’s a “semi-big” name, though not a “huge” name. I imagine that, once the name is revealed, we’ll have more fun arguing about what being a “semi-big” player truly means than we will wondering why he was not a bigger name despite taking PEDs.
Updates as they come . . .
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 43
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)