Apr 20, 2010, 3:02 PM EDT
UPDATE III: Sports Illustrated’s Jon Heyman reports the identity of the PED positive: It’s Edinson Volquez of the Cincinnati Reds. Volquez will be suspended for 50 games. Of course, he’s already out at least until the fall recovering from Tommy John surgery.
UPDATE II: I have learned that the player to be suspended is a National League pitcher.
learned that the PED suspension is NOT a New York player.
10:28 A.M. Baseball Prospectus’ Will Carroll tweeted this first yesterday afternoon, and I have since confirmed it with a baseball source: a major league player is going to be suspended for a PED violation, possible as early as this week.
I could not confirm the player’s identity, but my source tells me that it’s a “semi-big” name, though not a “huge” name. I imagine that, once the name is revealed, we’ll have more fun arguing about what being a “semi-big” player truly means than we will wondering why he was not a bigger name despite taking PEDs.
Updates as they come . . .
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 50
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 34
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 211
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (211)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)