UPDATE: Edinson Volquez suspended for PEDs

Apr 20, 2010, 3:02 PM EDT

Edison Volquez 2.jpgUPDATE IIISports Illustrated’s Jon Heyman reports the identity of the PED positive: It’s Edinson Volquez of the Cincinnati Reds.  Volquez will be suspended for 50 games. Of course, he’s already out at least until the fall recovering from Tommy John surgery.

UPDATE II:  I have learned that the player to be suspended is a National League pitcher.

UPDATE
I have
learned that the PED suspension is NOT a New York player.

10:28 A.M. Baseball Prospectus’ Will Carroll tweeted this first yesterday afternoon, and I have since confirmed it with a baseball source: a major league player is going to be suspended for a PED violation, possible as early as this week.

I could not confirm the player’s identity, but my source tells me that it’s a “semi-big” name, though not a “huge” name.  I imagine that, once the name is revealed, we’ll have more fun arguing about what being a “semi-big” player truly means than we will wondering why he was not a bigger name despite taking PEDs.

Updates as they come . . .

1. becca - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:38 PM

It’s not Gagne, you can’t get suspended when you’re retired

2. ryan - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:38 PM

snell is in the AL

3. Fast Eddy - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Shawn: If it would be Carpenter, wouldn’t you think he is a big deal? I thought is was a mid level player. He is a Cy winner and probable Cy winner last year. I think that is big time not mid level. The others are possible, with a probable Arroyo. Marquis is a nobody, and if he took anything, it didn’t help.

4. LawDawg - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:43 PM

“Semi-big” also can mean “Semi-small”.
    Let me give you more facts: He’s a male player, aproximately 5 to 7 feet tall, between 150 and 300 pounds. Be on the look out!

5. YANKEES1996 - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:44 PM

A National League pitcher….Hmmmm, who could it be? I’m going to guess Carlos Zambrano.

6. 11coreya - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:44 PM

d-lowe wouldnt surprise me. he was an alcoholic while with the red sox

7. jle - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Chris Young

8. jle - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:54 PM

chris young

9. jle - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Chris Young

10. Sonny - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Its Edison Volquez

11. Jay - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:00 PM

I’m guessing Carpenter

12. Brian London - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:01 PM

The news is that it’s Edinson Volquez. John Heyman reporting, report on SI.com soon to follow.

13. Hans - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:03 PM

They are probably definitely out to get Arroyo after his comments last season…My guesses would be him or Ryan Franklin….A “Semi-Big” name is so vague depending if your talking to the average joe or fantasy geeks like everyone who is probably reading this right now, myself included.

14. BC - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Chris Young isn’t semi-big. He’s HUGE. He’s like 6’11″.

15. KC - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:04 PM

Breaking News on SI.com
    Reds pitcher Edinson Volquez failed a test for performance-enhancing drugs and will be suspended for 50 games, Jon Heyman has learned.

16. mike - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I can promise you that its NOT Zambrano. If its a starting pitcher MLB wouldn’t announce a suspension only hours before the pitcher is supposed to start. It screws over the team. So if the announcement is truly imminent it won’t be a starter tonight so you can take these guys off your list:
    Zambrano, Pelfry, Bailey, Billingsly, Bush, Morton, De La Rosa, Olson, Kendrick, Hanson, Volsatd, Myers, Lohse, Haren, Sanchez, Latos

17. gumbercules - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Volquez? This could hurt his Rookie of the Year chances…

18. Jonny5 - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:09 PM

You just never know, but now that we do…. Me and Utley’s hair can sigh in relief…….

19. 11coreya - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:13 PM

props to wade at comment 81. only one to guess it

20. jake - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:13 PM

this has no effect on him this year though unless he gets caught again since he isn’t scheduled back till August

21. mark - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:14 PM

SI is reporting Volquez. Guess he is out of running for R.O.Y. again this year.

22. BC - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Volquez makes sense, given the injury. Assume his suspension starts when he comes off the DL?

23. Pulse - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:19 PM

Dermot had it @ 72

24. Pulse - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Dermot had it @ 72

25. Utley's hair - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:24 PM

I won’t be sighing in relief until I see what Kendrick brings tonight.

Three legends off to Cooperstown