Apr 20, 2010, 5:46 PM EDT
Really. We’re 12 or 13 games into the season, and you can already vote for All-Stars. It’s no different than every year, I suppose, but ever year I continue to be shocked that some guys are going to make the mid-summer classic based on stuff they did in the first two or three weeks of the season.
Of course, if the All-Star ballots didn’t go out, both in paper and electronic form, baseball would be deprived of all of those marketing tie-in opportunities. Which is fine, because everyone is entitled to make a buck. Just understand that when the lineups are announced and some real head-scratchers appear.
Sometimes the voters truly are dumb about the All-Star ballots. Sometimes they simply don’t have all the information because they’re voting way too early.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (90)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (79)