Apr 20, 2010, 12:13 PM EDT
That according to Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times. And he’ll be returning tomorrow, in all likelihood.
Fernando Rodney has been 4 for 4 in save opportunities since assuming the closer role (the only appearance in which he gave up any runs was mopup duty in a 10-1 loss to the Twins on April 8th). Still, Scioscia appears to subscribe to the “you don’t lose your job to an injury” school of thought.
Not that he doesn’t hedge a bit: “Right now, Brian is going to pitch the ninth. If we
have to adjust, we will.” Still, Scioscia also says that he’s not sure if Rodney is “a four-out guy” right now, which suggests that he doesn’t fully trust him. Which, given Rodney’s propensity for wildness, is probably wise.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 15
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 101
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 159
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)