Apr 20, 2010, 6:25 PM EST
Corey Patterson, who opted for free agency after failing to make the Mariners as a non-roster player this spring, is back with the Orioles after agreeing to a minor league contract on Tuesday.
Patterson was last a useful major leaguer in his first year with the Orioles in 2006. After coming over from the Cubs for two prospects, he hit .276/.314/.443 with 45 steals and played some outstanding defense in center field.
Unfortunately, Patterson’s performance fell off both offensively and defensively the following year, as he hit .269/.304/.386 in 461 at-bats. He declined further with the Reds in 2008 and he spent most of 2009 in Triple-A, though he did manage to strike out 13 times in 29 at-bats for the Brewers and Nationals.
The Orioles had some room for Patterson because of Felix Pie’s injury, but it’s doubtful that they’ll be in any hurry to call him up. He’s expected to report to extended spring training initially.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (284)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)