Apr 20, 2010, 4:42 PM EST
It’s probably a moot point after Ike Davis was called up yesterday, but Mets general manager Omar Minaya told the New York Post that Daniel Murphy isn’t close to returning from a sprained knee.
Minaya declined to reveal whether the Mets plan to keep Davis in the majors for good or potentially send him back to the minors once Murphy is healthy, but did say that Murphy “just started limited baseball activity, just started running.”
About two weeks ago Murphy was given a 2-6 week timetable for recovery, but it sounds like he has little chance to return this month. And of course he’s done nothing to suggest that he actually deserves to be handed the starting job back once he does come off the disabled list.
Murphy has hit .275/.331/.437 with just 14 homers in 707 plate appearances, which is well below average for a first baseman. Davis is certainly no sure thing to top those numbers right away, but he’s very capable of doing so and my guess is that unless he flops horribly the Mets will welcome Murphy back into at most a part-time role next month.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 131
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 64
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 42
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (139)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)