Apr 20, 2010, 3:27 PM EST
We’re about to have a major media firestorm over the nature of PED suspensions Why? Because, pursuant to the drug testing policy and the Collective Bargaining Agreement, Edison Volquez’s suspension begins immediately. As in, while he’s still on the disabled list due to recovery from Tommy John surgery.
What this means is that the 50 games he’ll “miss” are games he never would have pitched in anyway. Sure, his pay will be docked, but that won’t make anyone who expects PED punishments to be anything other than fines — which is basically everyone — happy. Not that his fine will be insubstantial — he’ll be docked roughly $137K of his $445K contract this year, plus some fines I imagine — but his baseball life will not be altered one bit by the suspension.
Think anyone is going to have a problem with this? Oh, yes. Yes they will. When Manny Ramirez was suspended last year he was able to return for a
minor league rehab assignment prior to the ending of his suspension.
That was a handful of games in Albuquerque and people freaked the hell out. Volquez will essentially
have no change whatsoever in his recovery and return.
Gentlemen, start your outrage. I may even consider joining in this time.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 69
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)