Apr 20, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
Ian Kinsler is expected to test his high-ankle sprain by doing some running today and if all goes well should be cleared to begin a minor league rehab assignment later this week. Kinsler has been sidelined since injuring his ankle in the middle of spring training, but the Rangers have gotten surprisingly good production at second base in his absence, with Joaquin Arias going 13-for-32 (.406) in eight starts.
That’s not sustainable, of course, particularly since Arias has yet to draw a walk, has managed just one extra-base hit, and carries a career .674 OPS in 349 games at Triple-A. In other words, the Rangers have been fortunate to get a nice fluke performance from Kinsler’s primary fill-in, but getting the All-Star second baseman back as soon as possible is key and it sounds like he could be ready to come off the disabled list as soon as next week.
“We don’t want him station-to-station,” manager Ron Washington told Jeff Wilson of the Dallas Morning News. “We want Kinsler. We want him to be able to come here and put his stamp on us by doing everything that he does. And if he can run, he’s ready to go. We’ll find out Tuesday if this all this work is beneficial. If all goes well, we’ll try to get him out of here.”
Kinsler debuted in 2006 and has hit .279/.350/.477 with an average of 21 homers and 23 steals per season, with his .827 OPS during that four-year span ranking fifth among all second basemen behind only Chase Utley (.931), Dustin Pedroia (.832), Robinson Cano (.831), and Dan Uggla (.830).
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 11
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 34
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 61
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)