Apr 20, 2010, 2:29 PM EDT
When I started this gig I was so smitten with my personal freedom and the lack of any expectation to maintain a professional appearance that I grew out a big ugly beard. After a month or two the concept of rebelling got old so I shaved it off.
Johnny Damon is going through the same thing right about now. Freed from the need to keep his hair short and shave now that he’s no longer a member of Yankees, Inc., Damon was a bit scruffy in the spring and the early regular season. But now he’s realized that one need not rebel. One can simply move on. Sort of.
If there were any Johnny Damon fans still holding onto hope that he’d
grow his hair out again now that he’s out of New York, Monday might’ve
been the final blow against that. He emerged in the visiting clubhouse
at Angel Stadium with a mohawk-style cut.
Ever since Damon signed with the Tigers in February, there’s been the
lingering question of whether he would grow out his hair or grow out a
beard now that he’s no longer under the Yankees’ rules on hair length
and facial hair.
Damon has never really gotten into the speculation, and by the sounds of
his remarks, he definitely isn’t into the long hair.
“I’ve been wanting one of these for a long time,” Damon said. “That long
hair is long gone out of my system.”
The real tragedy of this is that no one thought to snap a picture of Damon’s mohawk. If anyone sees one, please let me know. I’m picturing a perfect cross between DeNiro during the climax of “Taxi Driver” and Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)