Johnny Damon has a mohawk

Apr 20, 2010, 2:29 PM EDT

When I started this gig I was so smitten with my personal freedom and the lack of any expectation to maintain a professional appearance that I grew out a big ugly beard. After a month or two the concept of rebelling got old so I shaved it off.

Johnny Damon is going through the same thing right about now. Freed from the need to keep his hair short and shave now that he’s no longer a member of Yankees, Inc., Damon was a bit scruffy in the spring and the early regular season. But now he’s realized that one need not rebel. One can simply move on. Sort of.

If there were any Johnny Damon fans still holding onto hope that he’d
grow his hair out again now that he’s out of New York, Monday might’ve
been the final blow against that. He emerged in the visiting clubhouse
at Angel Stadium with a mohawk-style cut.

Ever since Damon signed with the Tigers in February, there’s been the
lingering question of whether he would grow out his hair or grow out a
beard now that he’s no longer under the Yankees’ rules on hair length
and facial hair.

Damon has never really gotten into the speculation, and by the sounds of
his remarks, he definitely isn’t into the long hair.
“I’ve been wanting one of these for a long time,” Damon said. “That long
hair is long gone out of my system.”

The real tragedy of this is that no one thought to snap a picture of Damon’s mohawk. If anyone sees one, please let me know.  I’m picturing a perfect cross between DeNiro during the climax of “Taxi Driver” and Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat.

1. Stone - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:00 PM

BREAKING NEWS: BASEBALL PLAYER GETS A HAIRCUT!!!

2. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Swisher had one during the post season last year iirc; although, the mohawk was played out back in ’98 when every soccer player in the WC was sporting one.

3. Joe L - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:05 PM

You, at home with a beard, conjures memories of “Mr. Mom.”
    “Flannel makes me hot.”

4. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Oh, Ann Jillian, my memories of you are enough to get me through any day . . .

5. Perry - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Damon batting 279 zero home runs 12 hits total 10 singles & 2 doubles and no stolen bases. Anyone think his stats were a product of Yankee Stadium. I wonder how long it going to take the Tigers to regret his contract!

6. Shely - Apr 20, 2010 at 4:41 PM

My wife thinks he is cute. I wonder what she thinks now.

7. Geek - Apr 20, 2010 at 7:40 PM

The Mohawk is to remind Damon how he got scalped by his agent.

8. Joe L. - Apr 20, 2010 at 8:14 PM

You’ve got two pair. You’ve got plenty.

9. Moses Green - Apr 21, 2010 at 8:01 AM

Rebellion is so … itchy.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3927)