Apr 20, 2010, 12:25 PM EST
UPDATE: Gordon Edes of ESPN is reporting that Cameron’s strain is actually a tear — akin to a sports hernia, he says — and that it may require surgery. If so, he’d miss a good month and as much as six weeks.
Edes reminds us that both Ian Kinsler and Josh Hamilton suffered similar injuries last year and missed 42 and 30 games, respectively.
10:18 A.M.: When it rains it pours.
Comcast’s Sean McAdam reports that Red Sox centerfielder Mike Cameron is heading to the disabled list with an abdominal strain. He had been scratched from yesterday’s game complaining of the same symptoms he had before passing a kidney stone last week, but tests revealed that this time it’s something else.
McAdam notes that “abdominal pulls can be slow to heal and it’s possible
that Cameron could miss more longer than 15 days,” so this means Bill Hall in center for the foreseeable future.
UPDATE: Amalie Benjamin tweets that Josh Reddick has been called up to replace Cameron on the roster. He’ll probably get some starts in center.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 125
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (125)