Apr 20, 2010, 12:25 PM EST
UPDATE: Gordon Edes of ESPN is reporting that Cameron’s strain is actually a tear — akin to a sports hernia, he says — and that it may require surgery. If so, he’d miss a good month and as much as six weeks.
Edes reminds us that both Ian Kinsler and Josh Hamilton suffered similar injuries last year and missed 42 and 30 games, respectively.
10:18 A.M.: When it rains it pours.
Comcast’s Sean McAdam reports that Red Sox centerfielder Mike Cameron is heading to the disabled list with an abdominal strain. He had been scratched from yesterday’s game complaining of the same symptoms he had before passing a kidney stone last week, but tests revealed that this time it’s something else.
McAdam notes that “abdominal pulls can be slow to heal and it’s possible
that Cameron could miss more longer than 15 days,” so this means Bill Hall in center for the foreseeable future.
UPDATE: Amalie Benjamin tweets that Josh Reddick has been called up to replace Cameron on the roster. He’ll probably get some starts in center.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (135)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)