Apr 20, 2010, 7:03 PM EDT
UPDATE: After “reinterpreting” the ruling, major league baseball will allow Joe Maddon to wear his hoodie, according to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times. It’s a victory for the little, err, casual people.
Monday, 5:43 PM: Rays’ manager Joe Maddon likes to wear a hoodie over his jersey — or more likely, over a t-shirt in lieu of a jersey. Major League Baseball has put the kibosh on that, however, telling him that the hoodie is not approved for on-field wear. Maddon said he’ll stop wearing the hoodie.
You might recall a couple of years ago baseball told Terry Francona that he needed to stop wearing that little short sleeve windbreaker he likes to wear. He still wears it, though. How that’s approved while the hoodie isn’t, I have no idea. At least there’s a chance some impressionable consumers would buy a Rays’ hoodie after seeing Maddon in one. I don’t know anyone who would wear Francona’s windbreaker. And it is all about commerce, isn’t it? Or am I being obtuse?
I think managers should be able to wear anything they want to. Maybe we’d get some style out of these guys. Ask yourself, what looks better: this guy wearing the official uniform of Major League Baseball; or this handsome gentleman here?
Now that’s a hat you can set your watch to!
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 47
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 28
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 7
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)