UPDATE: Joe Maddon now permitted to wear hoodie

Apr 20, 2010, 7:03 PM EDT

Joe Maddon hoodie.jpgUPDATE: After “reinterpreting” the ruling, major league baseball will allow Joe Maddon to wear his hoodie, according to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times. It’s a victory for the little, err, casual people.

Monday, 5:43 PM: Rays’ manager Joe Maddon likes to wear a hoodie over his jersey — or more likely, over a t-shirt in lieu of a jersey. Major League Baseball has put the kibosh on that, however, telling him that the hoodie is not approved for on-field wear. Maddon said he’ll stop wearing the hoodie.

You might recall a couple of years ago baseball told Terry Francona that he needed to stop wearing that little short sleeve windbreaker he likes to wear. He still wears it, though.  How that’s approved while the hoodie isn’t, I have no idea. At least there’s a chance some impressionable consumers would buy a Rays’ hoodie after seeing Maddon in one.  I don’t know anyone who would wear Francona’s windbreaker. And it is all about commerce, isn’t it? Or am I being obtuse?

I think managers should be able to wear anything they want to. Maybe we’d get some style out of these guys.  Ask yourself, what looks better: this guy wearing the official uniform of Major League Baseball; or this handsome gentleman here?

Now that’s a hat you can set your watch to!

1. gumbercules - Apr 19, 2010 at 6:01 PM

I believe there was some medical reason why Tito was allowed to continue wearing his windbreaker. Too lazy to look up a link. I’m sure one of the other industrious readers will be more than happy to chime in.

2. Professor Longnose - Apr 19, 2010 at 6:06 PM

According to the official MLB rules, managers do not even have to be in uniform:
    3.15 No person shall be allowed on the playing field during a game except players and coaches in uniform, managers, news photographers authorized by the home team, umpires, officers of the law in uniform and watchmen or other employees of the home club.

3. jackson hyde - Apr 19, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Clothes don’t aways make the man.Is this the biggest problem facing MLB these days? If I was Joe Maddon, i would pull a “Connie Mack.” He should go out there wearing a shirt,tie,and suit,and he should tell MLB that he wants to create a more “business-like” atmosphere on his ball team.What! Business men wouldn’t expect a field manager to dress like them. What do we have a double standard here or MLB is becoming bored with three hour plus games.Peanuts, anyone?

4. Brian - Apr 19, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Gumbercules is right and has a fantastic name. Francona had a heart issue several years ago and wears the windbreaker to keep warm due to poor circulation or some such.

5. whodat - Apr 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Tito wore it because of blood circulation issues, but I believe they allowed him to wear it as long as his jersey was visible underneath. Originally it was not.

6. JBerardi - Apr 19, 2010 at 7:37 PM

“Gumbercules? I love that guy!”

7. JBerardi - Apr 19, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Oh yeah, and, Craig is right. Managers should be allowed to wear whatever. And failing “whatever”, they should at LEAST be allowed to wear the official team hoodies, windbreakers, etc. Maybe a team poncho or moo-moo for some of these guys…

8. The Rabbit - Apr 19, 2010 at 8:07 PM

Poor Joe Maddon…attacked by MLB’s fashion police. Craig, I must be obtuse, too, becuase my first thought was that this waste of time has to be about commerce.
    MLB management is certainly no different from other major corporations and institutions: Spend time focusing on BS instead of dealing with whatever real issues exist.

9. Gnort - Apr 19, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Actually, I think it’s more like MLB wanting to avoid a trend set by the likes of Bill Belichick from the NFL. Hoodies are kinda slobby in general.

10. Stone - Apr 19, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Couldn’t agree more. That uniform is not doing Bobby Cox any favors. Its kind of sad how much attention MLB pays to a hoodie but they are willing to turn a blind eye to 10% of the league using amphetamines for ADHD.

11. GimmesomeSteel - Apr 19, 2010 at 11:07 PM

It’s Terry, not Tito. Get your Franconas right.

12. drausue - Apr 19, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Temp in the 30’s, wind, and rain..he wore the hoodie to stay warm. MLB needs to spend less time as the fashion police and more time policing the umpires.

13. Palooka Joe - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:31 AM

I’m still setting my watch to Johnny Unitas’ haircut.
    But I do love that boater. The next time we have a historical jersey day, every manager along the Mississippi should wear one.

14. airedale - Apr 20, 2010 at 4:14 AM

The 800 lb. Gorilla here is MLB equates the Hoodie with gang members, and I believe it’s an attempt to divorce the leagues from that element.
    That being said, that means they have to ban those stupid looking 59fifty caps with the flat visor…and Ron Washington.

15. Spanky - Apr 20, 2010 at 4:33 AM

I don’t know what’s worse Joe Madden’s Hoodie or seeing Lou Pinella wearing his belt for a neck tie.

16. moose - Apr 20, 2010 at 8:15 AM

slow news day?

17. Moses Green - Apr 20, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Everyone calls Terry Francona Tito. Don’t front on whodat. The only thing worse than some jackhole posting just to try and correct another poster is when that jackhole is totally wrong. Like you just were.
    Next on the MLB fashion police agenda – make Maddon give his glasses back to Rachel Maddow. She can’t see shit without them.

18. Steve - Apr 20, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Unfortunately for you, Terry Francona does also go by Tito. You made yourself look like an idiot while trying to make someone else look like an idiot. Smooth move.

19. Old Gator - Apr 20, 2010 at 7:35 PM

I’m the last guy in the world to critique what someone wears – me, who’d rather be clamped in an iron maiden full of rusty spikes and dumped in a settling pond behind a chemical factory than put on a dinner jacket – but it’s not Maddon whose fashion-forward sensibilities worry me. Come on, Craig – aren’t you even a little concerned about what Ozzie might show up wearing?

20. jwb - Apr 20, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Old Gator, Ozzie in a dinner jacket
    (artist’s conception)

21. 60eagles - Apr 20, 2010 at 8:04 PM

GimmesomeSteel, I often wondered what crowwould taste like. Can you tell me?

22. Charles Gates - Apr 20, 2010 at 9:12 PM

I’m actually okay with MLB stepping in and saying what and what’s not permissible for players and coaches to wear. Baseball prides itself on the classical sense of the game. I think that even if something as small as what managers wear during a game changes, the marketability of the sport would diminish slightly. The uniformity of MLB’s appearance across generations is a a brand strength. There’s no practical reason why a Bobby Cox needs to wear the same uniform as his players. But if he were in the dugout in khakis and a button down, the sport’s image would suffer. Now I’m not equating a team branded hoodie with Bobby Cox modeling for JCrew, but brand image and brand identity is something that once damaged, is very hard to repair.

23. Old Gator - Apr 21, 2010 at 4:03 AM

Horrible.

24. RobRob - Apr 21, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Maybe MLB relented when someone realized that the hoodie looks a thousand times better than the actual Tampa Bay uniform.

25. Rays fan - Apr 21, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Nonsense. (Now if you compared the hoodie to the Tropicana “Unique Facility”…)

A managerial overanalysis epidemic