Apr 20, 2010, 5:50 PM EDT
The Boston Globe reports that Jacoby Ellsbury will land on the 15-day disabled list nine days after he suffered bruised ribs in a collision with Adrian Beltre while trying to catch a foul popup.
Replacing him on the roster will be veteran Darnell McDonald, who was off to a stellar .341/.372/.683 start in 41 at-bats for Triple-A Pawtucket. The 31-year-old saw time with the Reds last year and hit .267/.306/.400 in 105 at-bats.
Ellsbury’s DL assignment will be backdated, meaning he could return in a week. The Red Sox were hopeful he’d be back by now after two rounds of X-rays found no breaks, but he still feels pain while swinging a bat.
It will be interesting to see whether McDonald or top prospect Josh Reddick plays more in the short-term. Reddick was the choice to replace Mike Cameron on the roster earlier in the day, but he was hitting just .179/.200/.359 for Pawtucket and he’s no better of a defender in center than McDonald. Still, it would make sense for Boston to use the lefty-swinging Reddick against righties and McDonald versus lefties.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 14
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (89)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)