Apr 20, 2010, 5:50 PM EST
The Boston Globe reports that Jacoby Ellsbury will land on the 15-day disabled list nine days after he suffered bruised ribs in a collision with Adrian Beltre while trying to catch a foul popup.
Replacing him on the roster will be veteran Darnell McDonald, who was off to a stellar .341/.372/.683 start in 41 at-bats for Triple-A Pawtucket. The 31-year-old saw time with the Reds last year and hit .267/.306/.400 in 105 at-bats.
Ellsbury’s DL assignment will be backdated, meaning he could return in a week. The Red Sox were hopeful he’d be back by now after two rounds of X-rays found no breaks, but he still feels pain while swinging a bat.
It will be interesting to see whether McDonald or top prospect Josh Reddick plays more in the short-term. Reddick was the choice to replace Mike Cameron on the roster earlier in the day, but he was hitting just .179/.200/.359 for Pawtucket and he’s no better of a defender in center than McDonald. Still, it would make sense for Boston to use the lefty-swinging Reddick against righties and McDonald versus lefties.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 4
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Jonson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 85
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 101
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 48
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)