Apr 20, 2010, 5:50 PM EDT
The Boston Globe reports that Jacoby Ellsbury will land on the 15-day disabled list nine days after he suffered bruised ribs in a collision with Adrian Beltre while trying to catch a foul popup.
Replacing him on the roster will be veteran Darnell McDonald, who was off to a stellar .341/.372/.683 start in 41 at-bats for Triple-A Pawtucket. The 31-year-old saw time with the Reds last year and hit .267/.306/.400 in 105 at-bats.
Ellsbury’s DL assignment will be backdated, meaning he could return in a week. The Red Sox were hopeful he’d be back by now after two rounds of X-rays found no breaks, but he still feels pain while swinging a bat.
It will be interesting to see whether McDonald or top prospect Josh Reddick plays more in the short-term. Reddick was the choice to replace Mike Cameron on the roster earlier in the day, but he was hitting just .179/.200/.359 for Pawtucket and he’s no better of a defender in center than McDonald. Still, it would make sense for Boston to use the lefty-swinging Reddick against righties and McDonald versus lefties.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 17
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 10
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)