Apr 20, 2010, 5:50 PM EDT
The Boston Globe reports that Jacoby Ellsbury will land on the 15-day disabled list nine days after he suffered bruised ribs in a collision with Adrian Beltre while trying to catch a foul popup.
Replacing him on the roster will be veteran Darnell McDonald, who was off to a stellar .341/.372/.683 start in 41 at-bats for Triple-A Pawtucket. The 31-year-old saw time with the Reds last year and hit .267/.306/.400 in 105 at-bats.
Ellsbury’s DL assignment will be backdated, meaning he could return in a week. The Red Sox were hopeful he’d be back by now after two rounds of X-rays found no breaks, but he still feels pain while swinging a bat.
It will be interesting to see whether McDonald or top prospect Josh Reddick plays more in the short-term. Reddick was the choice to replace Mike Cameron on the roster earlier in the day, but he was hitting just .179/.200/.359 for Pawtucket and he’s no better of a defender in center than McDonald. Still, it would make sense for Boston to use the lefty-swinging Reddick against righties and McDonald versus lefties.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)