Apr 20, 2010, 5:50 PM EDT
The Boston Globe reports that Jacoby Ellsbury will land on the 15-day disabled list nine days after he suffered bruised ribs in a collision with Adrian Beltre while trying to catch a foul popup.
Replacing him on the roster will be veteran Darnell McDonald, who was off to a stellar .341/.372/.683 start in 41 at-bats for Triple-A Pawtucket. The 31-year-old saw time with the Reds last year and hit .267/.306/.400 in 105 at-bats.
Ellsbury’s DL assignment will be backdated, meaning he could return in a week. The Red Sox were hopeful he’d be back by now after two rounds of X-rays found no breaks, but he still feels pain while swinging a bat.
It will be interesting to see whether McDonald or top prospect Josh Reddick plays more in the short-term. Reddick was the choice to replace Mike Cameron on the roster earlier in the day, but he was hitting just .179/.200/.359 for Pawtucket and he’s no better of a defender in center than McDonald. Still, it would make sense for Boston to use the lefty-swinging Reddick against righties and McDonald versus lefties.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 5
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)