Shockingly, some Marlins actually like the Scott Stapp song

Apr 20, 2010, 2:48 PM EDT

Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post went in search of someone who might actually like the horrendous song Creed singer Scott Stapp recorded for the Marlins and shockingly found a few players who dig it.
Seriously:

Wes Helms–the veteran clubhouse leader known affectionately among his teammates as “Uncle Wes”–said he’s a huge fan of the song. “Love it. Love it,” he said. “I like that kind of music, anyway. I’m a rock guy. It’s a song that definitely gets you pumped up to play. The beat of it, his voice. It’s a great opening song.”

On the list of things I’d admit to, liking Creed, Scott Stapp, or his Marlins song would fall somewhere after murder and rooting for the Yankees, but to each his own I suppose.
Clay Hensley, Burke Badenhop, and John Baker also admitted to liking the song, although Baker did say that “some of the lyrics sound corny.”
One player replied “you don’t really want me to answer that, do you?” when asked if he liked the song, but amusingly he’s the one guy Capozzi decided to keep anonymous. You know, so he wouldn’t get picked on for having some semblance of musical taste in a clubhouse full of guys who rock out to Creed.

1. Grant - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Baseball players aren’t exactly known for their taste and discrimination, after all.

2. NickG - Apr 20, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Yeah…guess we can’t have any rock permeate the rap/hip-hop crap stranglehold in most locker rooms. Give me a frikkin’ break!!!!

3. Tina62 - Apr 20, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Stapp’s song is exactly what it should be. An inspiration to the players, and clearly it is.

4. Beety hull - Apr 20, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Marlins fans love the song!

5. Utley's hair - Apr 20, 2010 at 5:03 PM

The point is not that rock has no place in the locker room. The point is that the song absolutely sucks about as bad as any other Creed song. Hell, it sounds like he drones that the Marlins suck. It is supposed to be soar, but it sounds like suck. Though the question remains about Marlins soaring–like at a fish market?

6. CARiedmann - Apr 20, 2010 at 5:06 PM

What do you think of the Twin’s Territory song?

7. Glover - Apr 20, 2010 at 5:08 PM

STAPP’S MARLINS SONG ROCKS!

8. ctm62 - Apr 20, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Stapp’s song is exactly what it should be. A pathetic attempt to resurrect the career of a non-talent, and clearly it is.

9. Thomas Post - Apr 20, 2010 at 7:19 PM

The Marlins and players have said the song is “outstanding” and they love it. The fans agree!

10. Old Gator - Apr 20, 2010 at 8:10 PM

I confess right off the bat to being a jazz snob, and I don’t expect many others to share my highly refined and polished tastes in music. However, I have also listened to a wide variety of ambient sounds including some of the ugliest, most incoherent and repellent sonic affronts to the human ear in all of nature as well as civilization: a whale giving breech birth; the Concorde taking off; a siamese cat in estrus; the unlubricated hinges of Scrooge McLoria’s money vault (and who can blame him, what with a can of WD40 going for almost six bucks these days?); gulls at a landfill; Nancy Pelosi playing with a vibrator; Mrs. Grundy’s chalk on the blackboard; an amplified recording of a giant Gippsland earthworm expelling vermicasts underground; the tiny fly with the human head squeaking “help meeeee, help meeee;” a Feelies fan throwing up on a little girl; a coal car with a single wheel dragging along the outside of the rail; a mob of Republicans at a town meeting on health reform.
    And none of that comes even close to how flat-out emetic that horrible song is. It’s a horsemeat and velveeta sandwich to the ears. This is exactly what the Feesh ought to be doing: finding new reasons to frighten people away from the ballpark. You’d think they were trying to drive down the attendance just so they could break their lease at Joeprodolsharklife Stadium and move to Florida.

11. joeiscool12 - Apr 20, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Twins Territory song is garbage, too, but at least it’s not Scott Stapp.

12. Jenny - Apr 20, 2010 at 9:56 PM

The song Rocks enough already with this debate over a song! if it was that bad everyone wouldn’t still be talking about it. And I too love the song, it is very inspiring. Actually it’s a great song.

13. Glen - Apr 20, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Ya’ll are jealous because Stapp is still making hit records and him singing a song for the Marlins gives their team alot of exposure. And maybe a winning season too. “Come on Marlins Make us Proud!”

14. TimL - Apr 20, 2010 at 10:07 PM

You are just a hater! On with the game!

15. MVD - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Craig (and everyone else who’s all “omg! creed sux!”),
    What do you guys expect baseball players to listen to?
    Is there any reason that they (at least the average Caucasions) shouldnt or wouldnt be fans of everyday radio rock*? Should they be that different than the “normal” jocks that we all went to school with? I’m not defending Creed, I just dont understand the outrage.
    I’m just as big of a music snob as Mr. Calcaterra has mentioned being in past posts, but this is the third recent post that has bashed Creed. Which is fine, I just dont know what else these guys are supposed to listen to.
    *You know, like your local station that is like WEBN here in Cincinnati? The station that plays Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Metallica, Nirvana, Creed, Staind, Seether, and 3 Doors Down. And holds fan bikini contests on their website. And sponsors the end of summer fireworks every year.

16. Old Gator - Apr 21, 2010 at 4:23 AM

I don’t care if the ballplayers’ musical taste is execrable. The problem is that as a fan, I’m subjected to that horrible auditory vomit of musical cliches and vocal croaking too. I think I’d rather have a Feelies fan throw up on me. We already have the cheapest tightwad owner, shortest team president and worst attendance in the game – and, unlike you folks out there, we’ve got nothing in the way of a rock band as musically worthy, original and interesting as Over the Rhine in our town to redeem us. All our best music is Latino and jazz. So Scrooge McLoria, oblivious as usual to what his fans enjoy, picks a washout like Stapp – and you just know he must have gotten him cheap – to inflict that awful song upon us? Why should Feesh fans be subjected to even more humiliation? Let the ballplayers listen to any garbage they want to on their own time. Just don’t play such mindless crap in my face.

17. Tony Boliva - Apr 23, 2010 at 10:41 AM

The Twins Territory song makes me want to shove pencils in my ears all the way to my brain.

18. PHTwinsFan - Apr 28, 2010 at 9:01 PM

It literally makes me feel pain it’s so bad. OMG. I really don’t even know where to begin: inane lyric, formulaic, cookie-cutter riffs and way-too-white blues feel. And we’re stuck with it for the whole freakin’ year, maybe longer. This is really an abomination

19. Amy - May 10, 2010 at 7:39 PM

You may want to get brought into 2010 news
    Creed came back over the summer
    New album #1 itunes
    #2 Billboard
    Sold out summer tour and about to go on one this summer.
    Canada sold out in 3 minutes
    Houston show with 17,000 also 200,000 watch live online via a broadcast dedicated to the US military all over the world.
    that show won several Gen. book of world records.
    Creeds youtube page has 1/2 views in the short time it went up.
    All the stapp hate is just regurgitated bitterness because they have such a large fan base. All this crap talked about Stapp is nothing more then a witch hunt brought in from early 2000’s by bands and ex musicians who couldnt make it against the huge success of Creed.
    Creed sold out summer tour after being absent for so many years says everything. The fans have spoken again. Creed is back and they are not going anyhwere if the fans have anything to do with it.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2961)