Apr 20, 2010, 8:52 AM EDT
Brad Bergesen turned a lot of heads with a nice little run when he came up last year, but then he took a comebacker at the end of July and didn’t pitch again all season. Then, this winter, he injured his shoulder while filming a television commercial. After three horrendous starts this season — he’s allowed 14 earned runs and has walked six guys in 10.1 innings — he’s being sent down to Norfolk. The O’s have called up reliever Alberto Castillo to take his place.
The Orioles likely won’t need a fifth starter until May 1st. When they use one there’s no guarantee that it will be Bergesen, as both Jake Arrieta and Chris Tillman are biding their time and probably deserve a shot. Arrieta has pitched better than Tillman so far, but it’s possible that the O’s will want to see Tillman first because he’s tall and has some major league experience and stuff.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)