Apr 20, 2010, 8:52 AM EDT
Brad Bergesen turned a lot of heads with a nice little run when he came up last year, but then he took a comebacker at the end of July and didn’t pitch again all season. Then, this winter, he injured his shoulder while filming a television commercial. After three horrendous starts this season — he’s allowed 14 earned runs and has walked six guys in 10.1 innings — he’s being sent down to Norfolk. The O’s have called up reliever Alberto Castillo to take his place.
The Orioles likely won’t need a fifth starter until May 1st. When they use one there’s no guarantee that it will be Bergesen, as both Jake Arrieta and Chris Tillman are biding their time and probably deserve a shot. Arrieta has pitched better than Tillman so far, but it’s possible that the O’s will want to see Tillman first because he’s tall and has some major league experience and stuff.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)