Apr 20, 2010, 8:52 AM EDT
Brad Bergesen turned a lot of heads with a nice little run when he came up last year, but then he took a comebacker at the end of July and didn’t pitch again all season. Then, this winter, he injured his shoulder while filming a television commercial. After three horrendous starts this season — he’s allowed 14 earned runs and has walked six guys in 10.1 innings — he’s being sent down to Norfolk. The O’s have called up reliever Alberto Castillo to take his place.
The Orioles likely won’t need a fifth starter until May 1st. When they use one there’s no guarantee that it will be Bergesen, as both Jake Arrieta and Chris Tillman are biding their time and probably deserve a shot. Arrieta has pitched better than Tillman so far, but it’s possible that the O’s will want to see Tillman first because he’s tall and has some major league experience and stuff.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)