Apr 20, 2010, 4:16 PM EDT
The Reds’ flagship station, 700 WLW, reports that Edinson Volquez has released a statement. The upshot: the drugs he was taking were prescribed by a Dominican doctor to help Volquez and his wife “start a family,” and that the drugs just also happened to be on the MLB-banned drug list.
I’ll defer to a fertility expert on this one, but I wasn’t aware of any male fertility drugs that also appear on baseball’s banned list. There are female fertility drugs that are there — Manny Ramirez took them — but those are used to cycle down from steroids, not to help men make babies.
Is Volquez playing the family man card — the “I was recovering from injury excuse only works for Andy Pettitte, don’t you know — or am I just missing something here?
UPDATE: here’s the entire list of banned substances in Major League Baseball. Many on the “performance enhancing list” are male hormores, of course. Quick reference to Wikipedia reveals several of them are used in male fertility treatments as well.
No clue if Volquez was really using them for male fertility treatments or if that’s just an excuse. Kind of doesn’t matter, though, given that the “whys” of it are irrelevant as far as the drug program is concerned. And let’s be clear about this: any player who was proceeding on a course of male fertility treatments should damn well have better consulted the union and baseball first to make sure that the admirable goal of wanting to have children was not going to interfere with the admirable goal of wanting to stay within the rules of the game.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 22
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)