Volquez: the drugs were for fertility treatments

Apr 20, 2010, 4:16 PM EDT

The Reds’ flagship station, 700 WLW, reports that Edinson Volquez has released a statement. The upshot: the drugs he was taking were prescribed by a Dominican doctor to help Volquez and his wife “start a family,” and that the drugs just also happened to be on the MLB-banned drug list.

I’ll defer to a fertility expert on this one, but I wasn’t aware of any male fertility drugs that also appear on baseball’s banned list. There are female fertility drugs that are there — Manny Ramirez took them — but those are used to cycle down from steroids, not to help men make babies.

Is Volquez playing the family man card — the “I was recovering from injury excuse only works for Andy Pettitte, don’t you know — or am I just missing something here?

UPDATEhere’s the entire list of banned substances in Major League Baseball.  Many on the “performance enhancing list” are male hormores, of course.  Quick reference to Wikipedia reveals several of them are used in male fertility treatments as well.

No clue if Volquez was really using them for male fertility treatments or if that’s just an excuse.  Kind of doesn’t matter, though, given that the “whys” of it are irrelevant as far as the drug program is concerned.  And let’s be clear about this: any player who was proceeding on a course of male fertility treatments should damn well have better consulted the union and baseball first to make sure that the admirable goal of wanting to have children was not going to interfere with the admirable goal of wanting to stay within the rules of the game.

1. YankeesfanLen - Apr 20, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Let’s leave Andy alone, the drugs were only used on a psychological basis for his compulsion to throw to first base 412 times per game.
    Captcha: and impudent- to criticize a “True Yankee”, still googling for a definition.

2. Simon DelMonte - Apr 20, 2010 at 4:28 PM

I looked it up – I am sure there are going to be a lot more hits on this topic today than usual – and such drugs do exist, but are only useful in about 5% of male infertility cases. One such drug used this way is testosterone.
    So it’s possible. Just not particularly likely.

3. JCD - Apr 20, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Oh give me a break. It’s insulting, these lame excuses ballplayers give when they are busted. I’ll give Andy credit, taking drugs to help you heal and help your ballclub is much more credible than trying to say you were just trying to have a baby. Ball players from the Dominican know exactly what they are doing, and should just come clean when/if they are busted. Although perhaps a better idea would be for them to see only team approved doctors!

4. Curious George - Apr 20, 2010 at 4:46 PM

I’ll give Andy credit, taking drugs to help you heal and help your ballclub

Couldn’t every steroid user offer exactly the same defense?

5. Jonny5 - Apr 20, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Okay I believe him………. I also would like to buy some farmland in the everglades please. I hear it would be a great investment. How much does peat go for anyway? I’d say the only guy who had a good story so far, which seemed very true, was J.C. Romero last season. Plus he was angry, very angry, and sued GNC I think.

6. jack - Apr 20, 2010 at 4:51 PM

CRAIG YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND NEW YORK OR STEROIDS GO TO JOURNALISM SCHOOL LIKE CRAIG CARTON SO YOU CAN LEARN HOW TO WALK ACROSS THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE IN A SPEEDO

7. JCD - Apr 20, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Sure, and I would respect it a whole lot more than “but I just want to start a family!”, which is complete and utter garbage.

8. Rays fan - Apr 20, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Hormonal therapy is a fairly routine method of treating infertility.
    However, as Craig said, “any player who was proceeding on a course of male fertility treatments should damn well have better consulted the union and baseball first to make sure that the admirable goal of wanting to have children was not going to interfere with the admirable goal of wanting to stay within the rules of the game.”
    Not consulting the union and MLB prior to undergoing such treatment is just dumb–so Volquez’ excuse is calling himself an idiot.

9. j4b - Apr 20, 2010 at 5:26 PM

No smarter than Manny jokes yet?

Three legends off to Cooperstown