Apr 20, 2010, 8:28 AM EDT
I catch a lot of hell for ripping the Mets, but I like to at least think that I have a reason for it when I do it. Compare this to Joel Sherman who — and I am not making this up — anchors this morning’s column accusing the Mets of “mismanaging” Ike Davis’ career on the fact that they flew him down to New York on an afternoon flight instead of a morning flight.
I think he’s going for a metaphor here or something, using the flight as a taking off point (see what I did there!) to criticize the Mets for not having Davis up with the big club from the start of the season. Which is a fair criticism — Davis certainly would have been a better choice than Mike Jacobs — but one that, on it’s own, constitutes a sentence or two, not a whole column. No, for that he needed to fill out with the flight thing. Lost in all of this is the fact that (a) the Mets won last night;
and (b) Ike Davis helped them win, somehow overcoming the debilitating
jet lag one gets when flying from Buffalo to LaGuardia.
The whole thing is couched as a complaint against Omar Minaya, by the way, with his name in the headline and picture in the column. But even if you take the criticism of the timing of Davis’ callup seriously, reading the column gives one the sense that the decision to do it was one that took signoff from others (i.e. a Wilpon or two) and wasn’t necessarily just Omar’s call, so ripping Minaya over it seems unfair.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 78
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 125
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)