Apr 20, 2010, 8:28 AM EDT
I catch a lot of hell for ripping the Mets, but I like to at least think that I have a reason for it when I do it. Compare this to Joel Sherman who — and I am not making this up — anchors this morning’s column accusing the Mets of “mismanaging” Ike Davis’ career on the fact that they flew him down to New York on an afternoon flight instead of a morning flight.
I think he’s going for a metaphor here or something, using the flight as a taking off point (see what I did there!) to criticize the Mets for not having Davis up with the big club from the start of the season. Which is a fair criticism — Davis certainly would have been a better choice than Mike Jacobs — but one that, on it’s own, constitutes a sentence or two, not a whole column. No, for that he needed to fill out with the flight thing. Lost in all of this is the fact that (a) the Mets won last night;
and (b) Ike Davis helped them win, somehow overcoming the debilitating
jet lag one gets when flying from Buffalo to LaGuardia.
The whole thing is couched as a complaint against Omar Minaya, by the way, with his name in the headline and picture in the column. But even if you take the criticism of the timing of Davis’ callup seriously, reading the column gives one the sense that the decision to do it was one that took signoff from others (i.e. a Wilpon or two) and wasn’t necessarily just Omar’s call, so ripping Minaya over it seems unfair.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 3
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 42
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 33
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)