Was Ike Davis "mismanaged"?

Apr 20, 2010, 8:28 AM EDT

Ike Davis debut.jpgI catch a lot of hell for ripping the Mets, but I like to at least think that I have a reason for it when I do it. Compare this to Joel Sherman who — and I am not making this up — anchors this morning’s column accusing the Mets of “mismanaging” Ike Davis’ career on the fact that they flew him down to New York on an afternoon flight instead of a morning flight.

I think he’s going for a metaphor here or something, using the flight as a taking off point (see what I did there!) to criticize the Mets for not having Davis up with the big club from the start of the season. Which is a fair criticism — Davis certainly would have been a better choice than Mike Jacobs — but one that, on it’s own, constitutes a sentence or two, not a whole column. No, for that he needed to fill out with the flight thing. Lost in all of this is the fact that (a) the Mets won last night;
and (b) Ike Davis helped them win, somehow overcoming the debilitating
jet lag one gets when flying from Buffalo to LaGuardia.

The whole thing is couched as a complaint against Omar Minaya, by the way, with his name in the headline and picture in the column. But even if you take the criticism of the timing of Davis’ callup seriously, reading the column gives one the sense that the decision to do it was one that took signoff from others (i.e. a Wilpon or two) and wasn’t necessarily just Omar’s call, so ripping Minaya over it seems unfair.

1. Benny Blanco - Apr 20, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Yeah, the 45 minute flight from Buffalo to LaGuardia is rough. Sherman is really turning into a negative writer no matter the subject. Calling Davis’ trip an “obstacle course” seems a bit exaggerated. As much I would have liked to seen Davis in the majors from the start of the season, I understand the “business decision” to send him down to delay his free agency.

2. Joey B - Apr 20, 2010 at 8:49 AM

“I think he’s going for a metaphor here or something, using the flight as a taking off point (see what I did there!) to criticize the Mets for not having Minaya up with the big club from the start of the season. Which is a fair criticism — ”
    No, it would not have been a fair criticism. From what I’ve read, and sportswriters are usually lost on these points, they’ve pushed his control year forward one year. I’d gladly wait 10 games to get another year of control.
    But IRT the article, it is a new standard for idiocy. Perhaps Joel can explain the need to have him wake up early so that he can be on a morning flight for a game that starts at 7PM? Just out of curiosity, if Joel needs to get to the park by 5PM for interviews, does he get any added advantage by setting the alarm for 7AM?

3. Greg - Apr 20, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Craig:
    Real journalism does not use the word “I” six times in your first three sentences. Nice going on your lead sentence, where you used “I” FOUR times. Who is the story about again?

4. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 20, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Greg: who said I aspire to real journalism? I’m a blogger. If my writing style truly prevents you from understanding or appreciating the content, perhaps you will better enjoy the New York Post or the Pedantic Weekly News or whatever paper it is that services your apparently petty little world.

5. Greg - Apr 20, 2010 at 9:36 AM

I read your post and I thought that I would respond with what I thought about what I received: I think it’s sad that you are a prisoner of the first-person perspective. I know: I’m petty.

6. Simon DelMonte - Apr 20, 2010 at 9:42 AM

If by “real journalism” you mean being a jerk, no, you don’t aspire to that. If, however, if you have my (partial) definition of a journalist as someone who backs things up with actual facts, sorry to say this but you might be on your way.

7. Professor Dave - Apr 20, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Ike Davis is now under control for an additional year, I understand. Sounds like sharp managing to me.

8. enough already - Apr 20, 2010 at 10:11 AM

I thought you wrote a thoughtful, intelligent article. I am, however, concerned that you may have a fever.

9. ctm - Apr 20, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Craig – I think you could appease all these critics by switching to the royal we. Make it so!

10. YANKEES1996 - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:10 AM

If you are counting on the Mets management to make good player decisions you may be waiting for some time. Now, that being said, I say congrats to Mets fans, I watched the Davis kid play last night and I was impressed with the kid, I thought he played well and he looks like a promising prospect. Good on ya Mets fans.

11. Stone - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:16 PM

And once again, the credibility of your blog takes another hit as you openly love on the Braves and openly hate on the Mets. Between the Mets and Braves, you have about 40% of the site’s content filled. Talk about someone else for a change.

12. Andrew P - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Gentleman’s bet with anyone who thinks Davis can OPS over .770 this year…
    Granted, it’s a stupidly small sample size, but Davis looked silly against Marshall on the two pitches I saw. He jumped out of the way of a Marshall breaking ball and then completely and utterly bailed on the groundball up the middle. He’s pretty strong, and got the good part of the bat on the ball, so it had enough oomph to get to the outfield, but if those two pitches are a sign of things to come, his platoon splits are going to be downright awful.

13. Fast Eddy - Apr 20, 2010 at 4:48 PM

What are you talking about? If there is a worse managed organization in baseball, I would like to know who. Omar should have lost his job a long time ago. And that goes for field management too. This team is managed poorer than the Reds of Marge Schott.

14. Fast Eddy - Apr 20, 2010 at 4:49 PM

OK, maybe Cleveland.

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3517)