Apr 20, 2010, 10:12 AM EDT
At least one Philly fan — Corey Seidman at Phillies Nation — fears the Feesh more. After an extensive breakdown of the two challengers’ rotations which he thinks to be more or less equal, he offers something short and pithy to make it clear where he comes down on the matter:
We’ll discuss hitting another day, but I’ll let it be known now that I
don’t trust a Braves offense relying on the aging Chipper Jones, a
has-been Troy Glaus, an undeveloped, crowned-too-early Jason Heyward, an
enigmatic Yunel Escobar, an unsustainably hot Martin Prado, and an
overrated Nate McLouth, to make it through a full season.
I’ll buy his take on the rotations — especially his righteous takedown of Derek Lowe — but I think he’s sleeping on the Braves’ offense a bit. The Braves and Marlins have had fairly similar overall production so far this year despite the fact that Atlanta has gotten zero from first base, shortstop, center field and left field. No, Jason Heyward and Martin Prado aren’t going to sport OPSes of 1.000+ all year, but the Braves have a lot of offensive upside to look forward to this season.
Ultimately all that matters is what happens on the field, of course, and today begins the first Braves-Phillies series of the season. I’m curious to see how they matchup. But I also want to know from Phillies fans: who do you think will give the team more trouble over the course of the season: Atlanta or Florida?
(thanks to resident Phillies Pfan Jonny5 for the link)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 42
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 23
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 23
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 37
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (99)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)