Who do Phillies fans fear more? The Marlins or the Braves?

Apr 20, 2010, 10:12 AM EST

At least one Philly fan — Corey Seidman at Phillies Nation — fears the Feesh more. After an extensive breakdown of the two challengers’ rotations which he thinks to be more or less equal, he offers something short and pithy to make it clear where he comes down on the matter:

We’ll discuss hitting another day, but I’ll let it be known now that I
don’t trust a Braves offense relying on the aging Chipper Jones, a
has-been Troy Glaus, an undeveloped, crowned-too-early Jason Heyward, an
enigmatic Yunel Escobar, an unsustainably hot Martin Prado, and an
overrated Nate McLouth, to make it through a full season.

I’ll buy his take on the rotations — especially his righteous takedown of Derek Lowe — but I think he’s sleeping on the Braves’ offense a bit. The Braves and Marlins have had fairly similar overall production so far this year despite the fact that Atlanta has gotten zero from first base, shortstop, center field and left field.  No, Jason Heyward and Martin Prado aren’t going to sport OPSes of 1.000+ all year, but the Braves have a lot of offensive upside to look forward to this season.

Ultimately all that matters is what happens on the field, of course, and today begins the first Braves-Phillies series of the season.  I’m curious to see how they matchup. But I also want to know from Phillies fans: who do you think will give the team more trouble over the course of the season: Atlanta or Florida?

(thanks to resident Phillies Pfan Jonny5 for the link)

1. Jonny5 - Apr 20, 2010 at 10:39 AM

I feel the Braves pitching will be tough to get around compared to Fla. On the other hand the Marlins offense will be able to score more runs against philly (Chipper will be out hurt and soon imo). As for tonights game? With Kendrick pitching for Philly The Braves may just have it in the bag, his ERA is horrible, he’s really not looking like a 5th starter unless you’re talking AA ball. Then it’s on to Halladay, where the Braves will need to silence the Phills bats more than likely to win. Game 3 Moyer Vs. Lowe? It’s pretty even if Moyer can look like he did against Fla after he got creamed for 5 runs in inning 1 last saturday. Overall for the season I can’t say who will be the toughest competition in the NL east. You know how it is, someone will lose some key players and that will be the difference. Overall the phills are best suited to lose key players unless it’s pitching, If the pitching staff isn’t running on all cylinders the season could end with an upset, and most likely will with the strength of the other NL east rivals.

2. Lashman - Apr 20, 2010 at 10:40 AM

The fish always seem to start hot, but they don’t have the leadership to pull themselves out of a tailspin in the dog days. Ramirez can’t do it and Uggla is too much of a jerk. When they are good they are tougher, but when they go bad, as all teams will go bad in a long season, they go really soft.
    The Braves have Chipper, who remains the best and toughest leader in baseball. He’s going to the Hall and part of it, for me, is that he is just a pure winner who always seemed to do what he had to do to win. But he can’t quite do it as consistently on the field due to injuries. And McCann always wears down. It will be interesting to see how Heyward handles the inevitable mid-season slump.
    I guess what I’m saying is that I think the Marlins are the better team on paper, but the Braves have the leadership to make a stronger run.
    But the Phils are just too damn good.

3. Megary - Apr 20, 2010 at 11:20 AM

If those are my only two choices, then I’ll “fear” the Braves the most. But that’s only because I absolutely can’t stand the chop and I “fear” it will ruin watching any meaningful games in September. (Of course, I guess that’s the point of the chop – to be annoying – but really, doesn’t the chop get on Braves fans nerves as well?)
    Honestly, the Phillies biggest fear is health.
    Here’s a better post, albeit way too early: Which NL contender’s rotation has the best one-two playoff punch?
    Phillies: Halladay, Hamels
    Marlins: Johnson, Nolasco
    Braves: Jurrjens, Hanson (Hudson)
    Cardinals: Carpenter, Wainwright
    Cubs: Zambrano, Dempster
    Rockies: Jimenez, De La Rosa
    Dodgers: Kershaw, Billingsley
    Giants: Lincecum, Cain (Sanchez)
    Apologies to the Mets, Reds, Brewers, D’backs and everyone else I ignored. Sure as rain, at least one of them will be in the discussion.

4. Utley's hair - Apr 20, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Hopefully, Sunday’s outing is a sign of things to come for Hamels. If it is, combined with Doc at the top and Blanton’s eventual return to the 3 spot, it’ll be hard to beat us. That said, the bats were ice cold over the weekend for the series with the Fish. That won’t be the case forever. The Braves may get lucky tonight with Kendrick. But overall, I think your tribe are more dangerous than Gator’s seafood. Why? The main difference between the two will be Chipper and Bobby. They’ll both want to end Cox’s tenure with a playoff bid.
    (somewhat appropriate captcha: still grimaces)

5. Old Gator - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:02 PM

You’re essentially correct about the Feesh, except that I don’t give Uggla better than a 50% chance of still being with the team after the trade deadline. Frankly, I’d give him even less of a chance if not for the surprising dearth of interest in him during the offseason and spring trading days. If he is still here, it won’t be because Scrooge McLoria wants to keep more than a couple of guys making reasonable money for their performances on his perpetually atrophied payroll. Then, there’s the morale issue: how jacked are these guys going to get playing in front of 2200 people (officially) night after night? Unless you reall love coconut milk, backyard bananas, nightly thunderstorms, hurricanes, feral Burmese pythons and the good chance you’ll get knocked off your jetski and mauled by an alligator, and know that unlike many other teams if you bust your ass and put up sparkling numbers there’s no damned way you’re going to renegotiate your MLB minimum contract as any kind of reward, you’ll be trying to play well just to attract the notice of some other team’s scouts and pray you can play your way out of town. Throw in a bullpen that’s as simultaneously erratic and inflmmatory as a Sarah Palin domestic policy speech (thank Buddha at least that she seems to have lost interest in bombing Russia for invading Georgia – speaking of the Braves) and you really haven’t got much of a strategic threat on your hands.
    The Feelies have been in a rut the past week or so, but does anyone think this schneid is going to last all that long? Let the Feesh come in once they’ve hit their stride and I suspect you’ll see a very different outcome from that of last week’s series. Yes, there will be days when the Feesh will play the Brotherly Lovers hard, but then they’ll go home and get chewed up by the Gnats, Mutts and Astros – and Rays when the Citrus Series intervenes.

6. JLR - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Braves have been over-hyped & over-rated all off-season, Marlins lineup is superior and closer to the Phils. Pitching staffs are a toss-up. They proved this last year as well.

7. Mac - Apr 20, 2010 at 1:16 PM

It’s easy to not fear a team when you forget their best player.

8. RP - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Boy, is it weird to be rooting for a team who has to fear the up-and-comers? As a Phillies fan, I’m still pinching myself on that count.
    Truthfully, I don’t know that I fear one over the other other by much, but I’ll take the Braves because of Cox and the ability/willingness (in theory) to go get another piece if they need it (relative to the cheapskates in Miami). I also think the Fish are more likely to fade down the stretch.

9. Matt - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Thats easy, the braves and its not even close. Marlins win at most 85 games, braves can compete for the NL crown

10. jimmy marlins fan - Apr 20, 2010 at 4:50 PM

this is easy…its the marlins of course
    see…in baseball…and i just want to make sure everyone is still with me…offense carries you in the regular season while pitching wins in the post-season
    the marlins have the bats to carry them through the season and the pitching talent to win in october
    the braves offense is a step above atrocious and unless they add someone soon, its going to stay that way
    and gator, id kill…absolutely kill for you to not throw loria under the bus in just one post you have regarding the “feesh”…god i feel disgusting for using that term…im off to smoke, happy 420 to all, and all a forgetful goodnight!

11. Route36West - Apr 20, 2010 at 6:06 PM

The Marlins. The way there team is built seems to counteract what the Phillies do good while on the other hand I think the Braves are poor mans Phillies.
    I think the way the Braves play and the Phillies play are more a like then between the Phillies and Marlins. And because I think the Phillies have a better 1b, 2b, 3b, SS, OF, OF, OF, (Heyward may out pace Werth in the future but he doesnt right now) and a better number 1 and number 2 pitcher the Braves dont scare me.
    Yes the Braves have a better hitting catcher and probably a better 3rd starter in Jurrijens over Blanton but Happ and Hanson and Moyer and Kawakami I believe are pretty much on the same level. With happ maybe even getting the edge.
    And once Romero and Lidge comeback I would take the Phillies bullpen over the Braves.

12. FatElvisATL - Apr 20, 2010 at 10:49 PM

I’m thinking tonight you fear the aging Chipper Jones, the has-been Glaus, the undeveloped Heyward, and the overrated McLouth.
    As in BB, HR, HR, HR….