Apr 20, 2010, 10:12 AM EDT
At least one Philly fan — Corey Seidman at Phillies Nation — fears the Feesh more. After an extensive breakdown of the two challengers’ rotations which he thinks to be more or less equal, he offers something short and pithy to make it clear where he comes down on the matter:
We’ll discuss hitting another day, but I’ll let it be known now that I
don’t trust a Braves offense relying on the aging Chipper Jones, a
has-been Troy Glaus, an undeveloped, crowned-too-early Jason Heyward, an
enigmatic Yunel Escobar, an unsustainably hot Martin Prado, and an
overrated Nate McLouth, to make it through a full season.
I’ll buy his take on the rotations — especially his righteous takedown of Derek Lowe — but I think he’s sleeping on the Braves’ offense a bit. The Braves and Marlins have had fairly similar overall production so far this year despite the fact that Atlanta has gotten zero from first base, shortstop, center field and left field. No, Jason Heyward and Martin Prado aren’t going to sport OPSes of 1.000+ all year, but the Braves have a lot of offensive upside to look forward to this season.
Ultimately all that matters is what happens on the field, of course, and today begins the first Braves-Phillies series of the season. I’m curious to see how they matchup. But I also want to know from Phillies fans: who do you think will give the team more trouble over the course of the season: Atlanta or Florida?
(thanks to resident Phillies Pfan Jonny5 for the link)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (354)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (195)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)