Apr 21, 2010, 3:43 PM EST
Out since the second game of the season with a hamstring injury, Aaron Hill is expected to return from the disabled list Friday against the Rays. Hill is skipping the usual minor league rehab assignment route, instead staying behind at the Blue Jays’ spring training complex to rehab in Florida.
Picked by many to finish last in the AL East, the Blue Jays have jumped out to a surprising 9-7 start despite being without Hill, who hit .286 with 36 homers and 108 RBIs last season to make his first All-Star team.
Toronto has predictably gotten terrible production from second base fill-ins John McDonald and Mike McCoy, but Vernon Wells, Alex Gonzalez, and the rest of the lineup have picked up the slack as the Blue Jays lead the league in both homers and doubles while ranking fifth in runs per game.
No word yet on who will be dropped from the 25-man roster to make room for Hill’s return, but third baseman Edwin Encarnacion has missed seven straight games with a shoulder injury and finally putting him on the DL would seemingly be an easy solution. Sending down McCoy is another option.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 0
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 22
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 85
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (85)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)