Apr 21, 2010, 11:44 AM EST
During spring training Adam Dunn made it clear that he wants to remain with the Nationals long term, but he recently admitted that there’s “nothing going on” with contract extension negotiations.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post writes that the two sides “are seemingly at a momentary standstill” while “Dunn still believes a deal could be struck before the end of the season.”
Complicating matters is that Dunn is off to a 7-for-43 (.163) start with just one homer through 14 games, which will inevitably lead to fans and media members questioning whether the contract situation is hurting his performance. Dunn isn’t having any of that:
That’s not why I’m not hitting the ball like I’m not supposed to, I promise you. I don’t control that. That’s out of my hands. I can only control one thing. I’m not going worry about [stuff] that I can’t control. It’s probably No. 50 on my list of things to worry about right now. I’m not worried about that at all.
Incidentally, if negotiating a contract extension that would no doubt be in excess of $20 million is truly 50th on Dunn’s “list of things to worry about” then he sure does have a ton of important stuff to worry about. I suppose earning $50 million by age 30 will do that to a person.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)