Apr 21, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
Chad Billingsley made his first All-Star team last season by going 9-4 with a 3.38 ERA in the first half, but then struggled so much in the second half that he was nearly left off the Dodgers’ postseason roster and has now allowed 14 runs in 14 innings this year.
Through mid-June of last season Billingsley was 44-22 with a 3.28 ERA in 530.1 career innings, and at just 24 years old looked like one of the most promising young starters in baseball. Since then he’s 4-8 with a 5.43 ERA in 117.2 innings, including back-to-back clunkers.
Joe Torre has made it clear that he’s sticking with Billingsley in the rotation, suggesting that a lack of confidence is to blame for his collapse. Billingsley disagrees:
That’s not an issue. I’ve been feeling good on the mound, as far as my delivery, my pitches. My arm feels good, my pitches feel good, my mechanics feel good. You have these times. I’m not going out there and walking guys. I’m going after guys. I’m making them beat me. I made some good pitches. I wasn’t walking guys.
As far as everything I wanted to work on between last start and this start, I thought I accomplished it. I mean … honestly, I don’t know. Last year, the second half, I felt like I was battling myself. I couldn’t repeat my delivery. Now, I feel like I’m repeating my delivery consistently. I’m throwing the ball in areas that I want to. I thought I was throwing quality pitches.
He’s obviously just searching for answers, but the problem for Billingsley is that if he’s right and confidence, mechanics, and command aren’t to blame then he’s either injured (which seemingly hasn’t even been hinted at) or simply no longer a good pitcher (which would be pretty unlikely at age 25). Every player goes through slumps, but 120 innings of 5.50 ERA pitching from a 25-year-old who began his career with 530 innings of 3.40 ERA pitching sure seems like something beyond that.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)