Cubs' announcer Bob Brenly rips Alfonso Soriano

Apr 21, 2010, 9:47 AM EDT

On Monday night Alfonso Soriano hit a long fly ball that, had he been running out of the box instead of watching his handiwork, would have probably been a triple. It did not go unnoticed by Cubs’ radio TV announcer Bob Brenly, who snarked “wouldn’t it be refreshing if we could get our left-fielder to run as
hard as Ted Lilly does?” referring to Lilly’s attempted steal during a rehab start in Peoria.

He went on, saying that Soriano’s lack of hustle “sets a bad precedent to the team,” and sends “a bad message to the younger
players.”  Which would be a damning criticism if the Cubs actually had any younger players.

Seriously, though, Brenly has a point. Sure, old managers saying that guys don’t hustle is not exactly a newsworthy occurrence, but Alfonso Soriano doesn’t need to be making himself a point of contention at the moment. It’s not often that a team will simply eat $90 million by cutting a guy, but it’s not totally fantastical to think that it could happen here.

The new owners aren’t psychologically or politically invested in that awful contract and if the team tanks — as it appears it very well might — cutting loose a seemingly lackadaisical symbol of the failed former regime may actually win them some fan support. The manager is probably going to retire after this season. It wouldn’t be shocking to see the GM canned this fall as well. Why not clean out the dead wood leftfielder too?

I guess what I’m saying is that if I were Alfonso Soriano I’d at least try to hustle a little bit, because while your mileage may vary, it seems like getting $90 million to play baseball would be preferable to getting $90 million to do nothing.

1. Real Vikings fans wouldn't cheer for Favre - Apr 21, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Being a Cubs fan makes my head hurt

2. Jonny5 - Apr 21, 2010 at 10:03 AM

I have a good friend who’s a Cubs fan and I always call this guy “Skippy”. It all began one day when I noticed he always takes a skip before fielding a fly ball. Ok maybe it’s more of a hop, but skippy sounds better than hoppy, I guess Hop sing would work but He’d need to learn to cook up some RBI’s to deserve that I guess? Wayyyyyy overpaid btw….

3. BC - Apr 21, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Try being a Mets fan.
    To quote Pat Summerall, “The report from the sideline is that everything hurts.”
    (Love that Leonard Marshall devestation of Joe Montana)

4. Steve - Apr 21, 2010 at 10:37 AM

I don’t know 90 million dollars for doing nothing sounds like a pretty sweet gig if you can get it…I guess I’m just lazy.

5. Derek - Apr 21, 2010 at 10:54 AM

I think it would be a major lifestyle change, but I think I could handle getting paid $90mil to do nothing. I’d even let them space that out over say 45 years.

6. Mike Treder - Apr 21, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Lack of hustle by anyone pisses me off. Playing major league baseball is an incredible privilege, and every recipient of that honor owes it to the game and to the fans to play as hard as he can at all times. Period.

7. ryan - Apr 21, 2010 at 11:40 AM

man it would suck to be a cubs fan, i mean, the best part of the year for them is the off season. Everyone finds someone to complain about and be pissed off during the whole season. Keep it up. Gonna be hard to recruit any players with the crap they get from the city

8. LMD8491 - Apr 21, 2010 at 11:52 AM

There are a number of players on the Cubs team that look old, slow and appear to have lost their way – time to dump them and change the leadership

9. Fast Eddy - Apr 21, 2010 at 12:47 PM

What? Soriano actually hit the ball. WoW, that is a step up, I think.

10. willmose - Apr 21, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Why knock Soriano? He is just carrying on a Cub tradition. You don’t going 102 years without a championship on talent alone. It takes effort.

11. willmose - Apr 21, 2010 at 1:32 PM

12. talex - Apr 21, 2010 at 3:40 PM

“not totally fantastical,” — Give us a break. It is total fantasy to even mention that Soriano would get cut for not running hard on a flyball. Sometimes I think you have Madonna syndrome: just say something stupid, because some attention is better than no attention at all.

13. Alex K - Apr 21, 2010 at 4:05 PM

I don’t think they should cut Soriano, but if someone else is playing better they should bench him.
    As a longtime Cubs fan and new Chicago resident, I can hardly stand to listen to the talk radio. They were talking about putting Zambrano in the bullpen the other day. One of the guys said middle relief! Worst part about it was the callers agreeing with them.

14. Lawrence From Plattekill - Apr 21, 2010 at 4:09 PM

He isn’t worth $90 million, but if the Cubs cut him and he could be gotten for major league minimum, would he have any value at all for another team?

15. Stackers1 - Apr 21, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Soriano has been like that his whole career. The Cubs should have known what they were getting. Why are they so surprissed.

16. Mike B, - Apr 22, 2010 at 1:22 AM

Are you not able to read? He didn’t say cutting Soriano was likely to happen.He only said that it was not completely impossible, given Soriano’s lack of production coupled with his absence of hustle.Obviously he didn’t base this opinion on one incident of not running hard on a fly ball.
    And here’s more insight for you, since you seem incapable of having any yourself.Writers like Craig Calcatarra are paid to write interesting, provocative columns like the one on Soriano to elicit reaction from their readers, not because they crave attention.Judging from your response he has succeeded.

17. J. miller - Apr 22, 2010 at 8:05 AM

You tell ‘em Bob!! He’s just saying what’s on the mind of every Cubs fan. Soriano looks so confused at the plate. Maybe if he switched to a smaller bat and didn’t swing for the fences on every pitch he wouldn’t strike out on the predictable slider away. I guess if you’ve got guaranteed cash in the bank, there is no motivation. Baseball should use more incentive based contracts. You’ve got your fat contract Fonsie, so why hustle and risk an injury, right?

18. Shely - Apr 22, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Not running out a hit ball? That made sweet Lou very happy I am sure. I am surprised that he didn’t sit out the rest of the game on the bench.

19. John - Apr 22, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Give Soriano a break, afterall what if he does hustle and ends up pulling a hammy or worse, then it’s $90 mil down the drain. He’s only looking out for the Cubs’ best interest. MARK MY WORDS!!!

20. B R S - Apr 22, 2010 at 3:45 PM

I would rather see Sorrya$$o hustle and blow out his knee than to just cut him and give him his money. Since he has a no trade clause, that’s pretty much out of the question. Good for Bob Brenley to step up and tell it like it is. Harry Caray is smiling down on him now.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4904)