Dave Trembley is done covering for his pathetic Orioles

Apr 21, 2010, 10:19 PM EDT

Heading into the season, the common phrase bandied about regarding the Baltimore Orioles was “they’re on the right track.”

Sure, no one really expected them to compete with the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays in the AL East, but at least they were stockpiling some promising young talent and looking like they had the potential to be contenders in a couple of years.

Well, the Orioles are on some kind of track for sure, but so far it looks like they’re zooming toward a cliff, having failed to notice the “Bridge is Out” sign along the way.

Baltimore manager Dave Trembley appears to be aware of impending doom, unloading on his team in a meeting on Wednesday before popping off to the press.

“I’ve been in a position where I’m a really nice fella and I’ll cover. I’ll get questions point blank and I feel like I’m a damn presidential press secretary sometimes instead of telling it what is it. I have to smooth it over,” Trembley said. “I’m not smoothing it over anymore.”

The Orioles (2-13 entering Wednesday night’s game in Seattle) have been pretty much awful across the board, ranking last in the AL in runs scored and 11th in ERA. In fact, dating back to Sept. 17 of 2009, they are 6-26 with a .242 team batting average.

The Orioles have had their share of injury problems, with Brian Roberts, Felix Pie and Michael Gonzalez all on the disabled list. Miguel Tejada is not on the DL, but missed his fourth straight game on Wednesday with a sore hamstring.

But Trembley’s big complaint on Wednesday was his team’s lack of fundamentals.

“I’m not going to let things continue to slide and say it’s OK. … I’m tired of that,” Trembley said. “I want to see the guys succeed. I’d like to get them back on track so they can enjoy that. You’re going to have to make some sacrifices and play some more as a team and do the things necessary in order for you to win. In order to do that you have to get your priorities straight. The priorities are the team.”

While I understand his frustration, the blame for a lack of fundamentals and team play should rest on the shoulders of the manager. It’s his job to instruct his players on how to play, then make sure they do it. So while it’s all well and good that Trembley is done being Mr. Nice Guy, it just might be too late for him. Maybe that’s a good thing.

Are you on Twitter? You can follow Bob here, and get all your HBT updates here.

1. OriolesFan8 - Apr 21, 2010 at 11:00 PM

The owner is the reason the O’s are in free fall. Sell the team PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

2. Jeff V. - Apr 21, 2010 at 11:07 PM

I imagine this outburst is a direct response to his flatout lying to the press yesterday in response to a question about Lugo dogging it to first base.
    He has had plenty of time to correct the team’s fundamentals and I think they may be worse then when he started.

3. batspeed29 - Apr 21, 2010 at 11:56 PM

You Hit The Nail On The Head! You Can Not Win Games Without The Five (5) Basic Fundamentals. Batting As A Team .223 Does Not Help Either. Time For Making Line-Up Changes. Call Up The Hot Prospects From AAA And AA… Give Them An Opportunity To Contribute. – batspeed29 on Twitter.

4. rugger - Apr 22, 2010 at 12:13 AM

It is excrutiatingly painful to watch my beloved Orioles every year play so defeated. Angelos needs to suck up his pride, call Dave Johnson, and rehire him as the manager. Trembly has stuck it out, and McPhail is truly a man of his word to let him remain…. but as far as the rest of the season, and the future of this prestigious club, enough is enough. Your a man of your word Andy, roger, I got it… Now drop the dead weight and lets get back on the train…Its getting to the point of nausea. We are becoming the laughing stock of baseball. You dont need to “buy” pennants like our northern counterparts… but you do need durable quality every night. This season is 162 games long, you cant have the DL loaded up after the second week of the season and expect to win… at all. The team is young, no s#%t the team is young… this is marketing gentlemen…you need to advertise a winner or at least act like one so guys like Adrian Gonzales and Roy Halladay would want to join progress…not re-gress. I could go on all day about this but I am actually in Iraq right now vommitting into a trash can after waking up to see they lost again….2-13 huh? Wow, there’s progress alright…I dont know whats worse, the smell emitting from these villages, or the front office at Camden yards.

5. jonni riviera - Apr 22, 2010 at 6:19 AM

FUNDAMENTALS, these guys are Big League Players making 7 figure salaries and he says it’s fundamentals he’s worried about. Yea, if you are managing a t-ball league team. The Orioles in the past always had a real good farm system that developed players. That’s where you look first and solve that disaster and then things should get better.

6. Joey B - Apr 22, 2010 at 9:15 AM

I smell panic. Roberts is simply killing you. You guys can’t replace him. I also question the need to sign Tejeda instead of playing Wiggy, and how Gonzo can already be injured. An RP with his history needed better vetting (maybe).
    Having said that, you still have several good young players. As a RS fan, I’d gladly trade you Lowell and Ortiz for Matusz.

7. Baseball Fan - Apr 22, 2010 at 9:39 AM

The Orioles are terrible top to bottom. It starts with the owner. Angelos has run this team into the ground and Trembley isn’t/never was a major league caliber manager. He’s just a guy that would hang around and say the right things – until now, apparently. They don’t need to try to “buy” championships, but they do need to start investing in their team if for no other reason than to show some love to their fans. Fire Trembley. Make a trade. Act like it matters.

8. Ralph - Apr 22, 2010 at 10:13 AM

The owner and his top management obviously do not have any concern for being competetive. They have been rebuilding for years, improving the farm system for years, trading for mediocre players for years, replacing mediocre managers for years, and continue to do what they have been doing for the past 12 years, win 70 games, give or take. It would seem they are doing just what they want to do, put a team on the field period. It is not only the Orioles, there are owners of major league teams that only savor the notion of owning a team, not that a team is productive or competetive and that’s where the Orioles have been for years. It can’t be easy trying to manage a group of overpaid entertainers, but it shouldn’t come as a surprise that no one wants to continually pay ticket prices and watch this kind of performance.

9. Seth - Apr 22, 2010 at 11:22 AM

This is strikingly similar to John McLaren’s “I’m tired of getting my ass beat” tirade which occurred just before he was fired.
    I’ll be interested to see how the O’s do over the next two weeks or so, because the schedule doesn’t take it particularly easy on them.

10. DMc - Apr 22, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Be nice to see Rick Kranitz helping Dave pack his bags!!

11. Joey B - Apr 22, 2010 at 1:32 PM

” It is not only the Orioles, there are owners of major league teams that only savor the notion of owning a team, not that a team is productive or competetive and that’s where the Orioles have been for years.”
    That might be over the top. I don’t think Angelos deliberately tanked the team. I think he just hired a couple of guys that were in over their heads. It’s not like Seattle wasn’t trying to win, they just had Bavasi in chearge. It’s not like the NYMs don’t want to win, they just have Minaya in charge.

12. Joey B - Apr 22, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2522)