Apr 21, 2010, 12:42 PM EDT
Back in July the Cardinals signed 16-year-old Dominican outfielder Wagner Mateo for a $3.1 million bonus only to void the deal over concerns about his eyesight.
Since then Mateo has been shopping around for another team and now Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks are on the verge of signing him.
According to Piecoro the deal with Arizona is likely to pay “around $500,000″ and “the finalization of the contract is no sure thing given Mateo’s medical history.”
Mateo reportedly has 20/200 vision and even with corrective lenses may prove to have difficulty seeing at night, but as Piecoro notes the Diamondbacks may have simply decided that he has enough overall talent to take a $500,000 risk regardless of the eye issues.
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch wrote in September that Mateo “could not read past the ‘E’ on the eye chart” and it looks like that will end up costing him about $2.5 million.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games