Apr 21, 2010, 12:42 PM EDT
Back in July the Cardinals signed 16-year-old Dominican outfielder Wagner Mateo for a $3.1 million bonus only to void the deal over concerns about his eyesight.
Since then Mateo has been shopping around for another team and now Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks are on the verge of signing him.
According to Piecoro the deal with Arizona is likely to pay “around $500,000″ and “the finalization of the contract is no sure thing given Mateo’s medical history.”
Mateo reportedly has 20/200 vision and even with corrective lenses may prove to have difficulty seeing at night, but as Piecoro notes the Diamondbacks may have simply decided that he has enough overall talent to take a $500,000 risk regardless of the eye issues.
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch wrote in September that Mateo “could not read past the ‘E’ on the eye chart” and it looks like that will end up costing him about $2.5 million.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)