Holy Cow! The Cubs are moving Carlos Zambrano to the pen

Apr 21, 2010, 4:41 PM EDT

A mere half hour ago I pondered who the Cubbies might move to the bullpen. In that post I said  “lord knows that Carlos Zambrano does not exactly have the temperament
to live down in the pen.”

So naturally, the Cubs are moving Carlos Zambrano to the bullpen. That report comes from Paul Sullivan of the Tribune.  According to Sullvian, Big Z is “cool with the move.” Because “cool” is what describes Carlos Zambrano.

Indeed, if there is one trait that I would say typifies a relief pitcher it’s grace under pressure and the ability to let go of setbacks moments — or at the very most a day — after one happens.  I love me some Carlos Zambrano, but that’s a trait the fellow does not have.

On Hotstove.com this afternoon I said something to the effect of the Cubs being a miserable team to watch lately.  They suddenly just got more interesting.

UPDATELou Piniella says this may not be a merely temporary move and that “This makes all the sense in the world.”  I’ve always had a mild suspicion that Piniella might leave the game wearing a straight jacket as opposed to his uniform. It may actually be coming to pass.

1. billy - Apr 21, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Who really cares, it’s the cubs and they will not win any way.Big Z is a fat bum.

2. tim - Apr 21, 2010 at 9:12 PM

The cubs have known for several months this could be an issue as soon as Guzman went down in spring training. They clearly didn’t have a plan and this is really reaching. The issues are the offense has been one of the worst in baseball, not a good thing when you have 3 rookies in your pen. Still, moving one of your better starters to the pen is panicking.I have to believe a trade is coming, or better be. The real failing here is with Hendry. It’s the GM’s responsibility to put the players on the field and right now he needs to make the team better through a trade, not screw with the pysche of players as volatile as Zambrano.

3. Leo - Apr 21, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Is it next year yet?

4. ed - dough - Apr 21, 2010 at 9:53 PM

I agree Zambrano is an under-performer, but it’s not because he’s lazy or doesn’t care. I think it’s because he has not learned to be a pitcher. He’s just a hard thrower and when facing adversity, instead of using guile to get hitters out, he thinks throwing harder is the answer.

5. willmose - Apr 21, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Zambrano is the Cub’s best starting pitcher. No, he isn’t the pitcher he was two years ago, but he is still their best. As I said before you don’t go 0 for 102 years in championships on talent alone, you have to lose a few games in the dugout along the way.

6. Jonny5 - Apr 22, 2010 at 9:12 AM

I hear the dugout gatorade cooler sighing in relief, as the cooler in the bullpen shutters in fear …………………………………………………………………

7. Omega in Colorado - Apr 22, 2010 at 12:39 PM

@ White Sox Fan, throw in a truckload of coolers and you may have a deal…

8. Shely - Apr 22, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Well, you may be correct on that one, however if it is true that he is the best, then they are in more trouble that I thought. He may have been the best in the past, but if he is the best now, the Cubs had better wait until next year.

9. Sven-Erik - Apr 22, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Well, it worked for Ekerskey. Look what happened to his career when we went over to the pen…

10. joethefirst - Apr 22, 2010 at 8:27 PM

What’s the suprise? The Cubs would’ve used Ruth as a pinch hitter.

11. Mark R - Apr 22, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Clearly I shouldn’t be making the Cubs’ rotation decisions either. By Ohlendorf, I meant Gorzelanny (are those names at all similar enough to warrant this mistake?). And I also forgot to mention Ryan Dempster, who is yet another candidate for best Cub starter.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4952)