Apr 21, 2010, 4:41 PM EST
A mere half hour ago I pondered who the Cubbies might move to the bullpen. In that post I said “lord knows that Carlos Zambrano does not exactly have the temperament
to live down in the pen.”
So naturally, the Cubs are moving Carlos Zambrano to the bullpen. That report comes from Paul Sullivan of the Tribune. According to Sullvian, Big Z is “cool with the move.” Because “cool” is what describes Carlos Zambrano.
Indeed, if there is one trait that I would say typifies a relief pitcher it’s grace under pressure and the ability to let go of setbacks moments — or at the very most a day — after one happens. I love me some Carlos Zambrano, but that’s a trait the fellow does not have.
On Hotstove.com this afternoon I said something to the effect of the Cubs being a miserable team to watch lately. They suddenly just got more interesting.
UPDATE: Lou Piniella says this may not be a merely temporary move and that “This makes all the sense in the world.” I’ve always had a mild suspicion that Piniella might leave the game wearing a straight jacket as opposed to his uniform. It may actually be coming to pass.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 23
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 96
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (96)