Apr 21, 2010, 4:41 PM EDT
A mere half hour ago I pondered who the Cubbies might move to the bullpen. In that post I said “lord knows that Carlos Zambrano does not exactly have the temperament
to live down in the pen.”
So naturally, the Cubs are moving Carlos Zambrano to the bullpen. That report comes from Paul Sullivan of the Tribune. According to Sullvian, Big Z is “cool with the move.” Because “cool” is what describes Carlos Zambrano.
Indeed, if there is one trait that I would say typifies a relief pitcher it’s grace under pressure and the ability to let go of setbacks moments — or at the very most a day — after one happens. I love me some Carlos Zambrano, but that’s a trait the fellow does not have.
On Hotstove.com this afternoon I said something to the effect of the Cubs being a miserable team to watch lately. They suddenly just got more interesting.
UPDATE: Lou Piniella says this may not be a merely temporary move and that “This makes all the sense in the world.” I’ve always had a mild suspicion that Piniella might leave the game wearing a straight jacket as opposed to his uniform. It may actually be coming to pass.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 25
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 33
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)