Apr 21, 2010, 4:41 PM EDT
A mere half hour ago I pondered who the Cubbies might move to the bullpen. In that post I said “lord knows that Carlos Zambrano does not exactly have the temperament
to live down in the pen.”
So naturally, the Cubs are moving Carlos Zambrano to the bullpen. That report comes from Paul Sullivan of the Tribune. According to Sullvian, Big Z is “cool with the move.” Because “cool” is what describes Carlos Zambrano.
Indeed, if there is one trait that I would say typifies a relief pitcher it’s grace under pressure and the ability to let go of setbacks moments — or at the very most a day — after one happens. I love me some Carlos Zambrano, but that’s a trait the fellow does not have.
On Hotstove.com this afternoon I said something to the effect of the Cubs being a miserable team to watch lately. They suddenly just got more interesting.
UPDATE: Lou Piniella says this may not be a merely temporary move and that “This makes all the sense in the world.” I’ve always had a mild suspicion that Piniella might leave the game wearing a straight jacket as opposed to his uniform. It may actually be coming to pass.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 200
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)