Jason Varitek gets the start for the Sox tonight

Apr 21, 2010, 2:16 PM EST

Red Sox manager Terry Francona said on his weekly radio show that Jason Varitek will catch Josh
Beckett tonight.  This is the third straight time that Varitek has caught Beckett, but according to Francona he’s no personal catcher or anything.

I guess he would have had a chance to prove that and use Martinez if V-Mart wasn’t still suffering post traumatic “holy crap Vlad Guerrero stole second and third base on me last night” disorder.

If I were the Rangers I’d run hog wild on Varitek tonight too, just to show that I didn’t play any favorites. I mean, it’s not like he’s got a cannon on him or anything.

1. J. McCann - Apr 21, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Mr. Johnson,
    sure he is not a personal catcher.

2. Big Harold - Apr 21, 2010 at 3:00 PM

“If I were the Rangers I’d run hog wild on Varitek tonight too, .. ”
    Capt. Bench Warmer is going to get the same tratment as Martinez. His arm is no better.

3. AJ - Apr 21, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Who cares if he is a personal catcher or not. Bottom line is winning — all other considerations are pretty much secondary. Mindless reporting…

4. John from Concord - Apr 21, 2010 at 3:15 PM

The sad thing is that, relative to V-Mart, Varitek does have a cannon.

5. dp - Apr 21, 2010 at 8:38 PM

They just saved the season ,(yeah right) another one of their has been players. Varitek can’t throw out anyone either . Plus he can’t hit his ass with both hands . This should let everyone out there realize how inept they really are. I said they would be lucky to finish third , but fourth is more likely . Good luck sux , you really need it .

6. Nasty Boy - Apr 21, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Replacing Martinez , with Varitek , is like the blind leading the blind . A one legged man could run on either of the Sux so-called catchers. Sux , your franchise is a joke .

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4815)