Apr 21, 2010, 12:19 AM EST
UPDATE: Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that Mathis is expected to miss at least six weeks with the injury.
Tuesday, 9:19 PM: The Angels have placed catcher Jeff Mathis on the 15-day disabled list with a fractured right wrist, according to Dan Woike of the Orange County Register.
Mathis suffered the injury when he attempted to block a ball in the dirt during eighth inning of Monday’s game against the Tigers.
“I saw the replay. His hand really wasn’t in the position it needed to
be. It needs to be behind the glove,” Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. “Jeff blocks the ball extremely well – as
well as any catcher in baseball. It was just a freak thing that his hand
was there in a position where it usually isn’t.”
Mathis had become Scioscia’s preferred option behind the plate over Mike Napoli, starting 10 of the season’s first 14 games. Though Scioscia wanted him for his defense, Mathis was off to an 11-for-34 (.324) start with the bat, burying Napoli even further. He even had a 10-game hitting streak under his belt.
It isn’t yet known how long the injury will keep Mathis on the shelf, but now Napoli will become the primary catcher, with Bobby Wilson backing him up.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)