Apr 21, 2010, 3:11 PM EDT
UPDATE: John Fay tweets that Joe Morgan’s job with the Reds will not affect his Sunday Night Baseball job because (a) his job with the Reds will not be in day-to-day operations and (b) the Reds aren’t scheduled to be on Sunday Night Baseball this year.
In other words, because the job is merely ceremonial and because the Reds kind of stink, we get to continue to invite Joe Morgan into our homes every Sunday evening. Glad tidings!
1:15 P.M: No idea if this will impact his ESPN duties in any way, shape or form, but the Cincinnati Reds are holding a press conference at 4:30 today to introduce Joe Morgan as a “Special Advisor for Baseball Operations.”
One would think such a title — unless totally ceremonial — would present some sort of conflict of interest issue for ESPN given that, you know, the guy does opine on other baseball teams for a living. If he’s doing substantive work for the Reds, wouldn’t the media access provided by his credential provide some sort of unfair scouting advantage? How many teams allow other teams’ front office personnel in their clubhouse and talk about injuries and hitting approaches and stuff with them?
But I’m sure we’ll learn more about that at the press conference.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)