Apr 21, 2010, 3:11 PM EDT
UPDATE: John Fay tweets that Joe Morgan’s job with the Reds will not affect his Sunday Night Baseball job because (a) his job with the Reds will not be in day-to-day operations and (b) the Reds aren’t scheduled to be on Sunday Night Baseball this year.
In other words, because the job is merely ceremonial and because the Reds kind of stink, we get to continue to invite Joe Morgan into our homes every Sunday evening. Glad tidings!
1:15 P.M: No idea if this will impact his ESPN duties in any way, shape or form, but the Cincinnati Reds are holding a press conference at 4:30 today to introduce Joe Morgan as a “Special Advisor for Baseball Operations.”
One would think such a title — unless totally ceremonial — would present some sort of conflict of interest issue for ESPN given that, you know, the guy does opine on other baseball teams for a living. If he’s doing substantive work for the Reds, wouldn’t the media access provided by his credential provide some sort of unfair scouting advantage? How many teams allow other teams’ front office personnel in their clubhouse and talk about injuries and hitting approaches and stuff with them?
But I’m sure we’ll learn more about that at the press conference.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 5
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)