Apr 21, 2010, 11:17 AM EDT
It’s always a hot ticket when the Yankees come to town, so you’d understand if teams, say, raised the prices a bit to buy tickets for the matchup. Supply and demand and all of that, right? But what the Dodgers and Mets (and others) do leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Consumerist passes along word that both teams are forcing fans to buy tickets in blocks rather than individually. The Mets are making you buy five tickets to the Yankees game and are not offering them individually, at least for now. The Dodgers, in contrast, are making you buy a seven-game plan if you want to buy any tickets to the three-game Yankees series.
I don’t believe that the Mets and Dodgers are alone in this, actually. The Braves did this with the Red Sox once and may still do so. Someone told me that the Phillies have done this as well. Indeed, there are probably countless examples of these sorts of tying schemes for high profile events. Maybe the most prominent example of this is that season ticket purchasers of every NFL team are forced to buy seats for preseason games which are (a) boring; and (b) even more meaningless than spring training games in many respects.
I guess I understand, but I really don’t like it. This is an emotional as opposed to an economic reaction, but I’d rather that the teams just charged what the market would bear for the hot seats and sell them individually.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 61
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)