Apr 21, 2010, 4:16 PM EST
UPDATE: Holy Cow, it’s Zambrano!
Jon Heyman notes in his latest column that Ted Lilly is set to make his season debut for the Cubs on Saturday and that his return to the rotation will require that someone get sent to the bullpen. Heyman reports that the Cubs are inclined to keep Tom Gorzelanny in his starting slot, and lord knows that Carlos Zambrano does not exactly have the temperament to live down in the pen. So who goes? Heyman says Ryan Demptser:
If it’s anyone, Dempster — who makes almost $13 million a year as a
starter but has been a semi-successful closer in the past — might be
the most logical of the four.
Really? This seems like a really shortsighted move to me. Carlos Silva may have 13 innings without an earned run to start off the year, but are we really going to let a couple of April starts from the ballast of the Milton Bradley trade send Ryan Dempster back to the bullpen?
I have faith that Dempster would do just fine in relief, but such a move seems shortsighted to me. I’d much rather sacrifice Gorzelanny or Silva — or even make Zambrano a mopup man now that I think about it — than turn Dempster into a $13 million setup man.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 39
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 24
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 51
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)