Apr 21, 2010, 10:27 AM EST
Unless my bookmarks have all been borked and my Google-fu has suddenly evaporated, I think it’s safe to say that there aren’t any columns this morning eviscerating Edinson Volquez or Major League Baseball over his positive PED test and suspension. The only thing close to that is Jon Paul Morosi’s thing about how the whole suspensions-while-on-the-DL thing, but that’s a pretty legit criticism.
We usually get fire-breathing and hyperbole after one of these deals. Then I come in with my overly-defensive reaction/steroids apologist shtick, most of you guys tell me to quit beating the same old drum and on and on it goes. I’m a creature of habit and I feel lost without any of that this morning, truth be told.
Could it be that we’ve finally reached a point where people more or less trust that the testing process is doing what it is designed to do in catching the cheaters? Have we finally realized that the notion of calling every instance of a positive PED test “a stain on the game” and and affront to America is overdoing it? Or is it simply that Edinson Volquez plays in the big red part of the country so no one really cares?
I’m not sure myself, but at the moment I feel like an old warrior trying to find a place in a peaceful society. And it’s truly, truly awful.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)