Apr 21, 2010, 10:27 AM EDT
Unless my bookmarks have all been borked and my Google-fu has suddenly evaporated, I think it’s safe to say that there aren’t any columns this morning eviscerating Edinson Volquez or Major League Baseball over his positive PED test and suspension. The only thing close to that is Jon Paul Morosi’s thing about how the whole suspensions-while-on-the-DL thing, but that’s a pretty legit criticism.
We usually get fire-breathing and hyperbole after one of these deals. Then I come in with my overly-defensive reaction/steroids apologist shtick, most of you guys tell me to quit beating the same old drum and on and on it goes. I’m a creature of habit and I feel lost without any of that this morning, truth be told.
Could it be that we’ve finally reached a point where people more or less trust that the testing process is doing what it is designed to do in catching the cheaters? Have we finally realized that the notion of calling every instance of a positive PED test “a stain on the game” and and affront to America is overdoing it? Or is it simply that Edinson Volquez plays in the big red part of the country so no one really cares?
I’m not sure myself, but at the moment I feel like an old warrior trying to find a place in a peaceful society. And it’s truly, truly awful.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 77
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (77)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (73)