Apr 21, 2010, 10:27 AM EDT
Unless my bookmarks have all been borked and my Google-fu has suddenly evaporated, I think it’s safe to say that there aren’t any columns this morning eviscerating Edinson Volquez or Major League Baseball over his positive PED test and suspension. The only thing close to that is Jon Paul Morosi’s thing about how the whole suspensions-while-on-the-DL thing, but that’s a pretty legit criticism.
We usually get fire-breathing and hyperbole after one of these deals. Then I come in with my overly-defensive reaction/steroids apologist shtick, most of you guys tell me to quit beating the same old drum and on and on it goes. I’m a creature of habit and I feel lost without any of that this morning, truth be told.
Could it be that we’ve finally reached a point where people more or less trust that the testing process is doing what it is designed to do in catching the cheaters? Have we finally realized that the notion of calling every instance of a positive PED test “a stain on the game” and and affront to America is overdoing it? Or is it simply that Edinson Volquez plays in the big red part of the country so no one really cares?
I’m not sure myself, but at the moment I feel like an old warrior trying to find a place in a peaceful society. And it’s truly, truly awful.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)