Apr 22, 2010, 4:17 PM EDT
In this morning’s And That Happened recaps I said about the Pirates: “when they lose, they don’t mess around. They go out there and lose with
gusto.” They just took things to a whole new level, getting beat by the Brewers (gulp) 20-0 this afternoon, setting the mark for the worst shutout ever. The Brewers outscored the Pirates 36-1 in their three-game series.
I only managed to catch the end of this debacle, but the two things of note I saw:
- The Pirates played the infield in with runners on base in the ninth, trailing 16-0. Jon Heyman had the line of the day on that one, noting that “you never want
that 17th run coming home!”
- The Brewers brought in Trevor Hoffman to pitch the ninth with a 20-0 lead. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that he’s never had a bigger cushion (UPDATE: yep, this was his biggest cushion*). And no, don’t jump on the Brew Crew for bringing him in. He hadn’t pitched in a week, so this was just a workout for him.
I’d go through the box score and pass on the highs and lows, but this one was just too ugly for words.
*Thanks to Matthew Pouliot — whose Baseaball-Reference Play Index-fu is vastly superior to my own.
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 14
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 12
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 28
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 46
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (184)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)