Apr 22, 2010, 4:17 PM EDT
In this morning’s And That Happened recaps I said about the Pirates: “when they lose, they don’t mess around. They go out there and lose with
gusto.” They just took things to a whole new level, getting beat by the Brewers (gulp) 20-0 this afternoon, setting the mark for the worst shutout ever. The Brewers outscored the Pirates 36-1 in their three-game series.
I only managed to catch the end of this debacle, but the two things of note I saw:
- The Pirates played the infield in with runners on base in the ninth, trailing 16-0. Jon Heyman had the line of the day on that one, noting that “you never want
that 17th run coming home!”
- The Brewers brought in Trevor Hoffman to pitch the ninth with a 20-0 lead. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that he’s never had a bigger cushion (UPDATE: yep, this was his biggest cushion*). And no, don’t jump on the Brew Crew for bringing him in. He hadn’t pitched in a week, so this was just a workout for him.
I’d go through the box score and pass on the highs and lows, but this one was just too ugly for words.
*Thanks to Matthew Pouliot — whose Baseaball-Reference Play Index-fu is vastly superior to my own.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)