Apr 22, 2010, 4:17 PM EDT
In this morning’s And That Happened recaps I said about the Pirates: “when they lose, they don’t mess around. They go out there and lose with
gusto.” They just took things to a whole new level, getting beat by the Brewers (gulp) 20-0 this afternoon, setting the mark for the worst shutout ever. The Brewers outscored the Pirates 36-1 in their three-game series.
I only managed to catch the end of this debacle, but the two things of note I saw:
- The Pirates played the infield in with runners on base in the ninth, trailing 16-0. Jon Heyman had the line of the day on that one, noting that “you never want
that 17th run coming home!”
- The Brewers brought in Trevor Hoffman to pitch the ninth with a 20-0 lead. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that he’s never had a bigger cushion (UPDATE: yep, this was his biggest cushion*). And no, don’t jump on the Brew Crew for bringing him in. He hadn’t pitched in a week, so this was just a workout for him.
I’d go through the box score and pass on the highs and lows, but this one was just too ugly for words.
*Thanks to Matthew Pouliot — whose Baseaball-Reference Play Index-fu is vastly superior to my own.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 57
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 110
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (110)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)