Apr 22, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
After dropping to 0-3 with an 8.31 ERA with an ugly start yesterday, Aaron Harang said: “It’s bad luck. This game’s about luck. I’m going through a bad spell right now.”
Of course, as John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer points out, the “spell” of “bad luck” doesn’t just include this season. Dating back to May of last season Harang is 1-13 with a 5.41 ERA over the span of 20 starts, during which time he’s served up 23 homers in 119.2 innings while allowing opponents to hit better than .300 against him.
And going back even further, to the start of 2008, he’s 12-34 with a 4.74 ERA in 368 innings spread over 60 starts. Now, someone with a 4.74 ERA certainly doesn’t deserve a 12-34 record, so Harang is right that he’s been unlucky in that respect, but in terms of his actual performance it’s tough to call 60 starts and 368 innings worth of below-average pitching a “spell.”
However you want to classify Harang’s terrible start to this season or 12-34 record and 4.74 ERA since 2008, manager Dusty Baker was unsure about what to do with his Opening Day starter. Baker did say that moving Harang to the bullpen like the Cubs did yesterday with Carlos Zambrano isn’t an option and finding a taker for him via trade figures to be nearly impossible unless the Reds are willing to eat a bunch of salary.
Harang will make $12.5 million for this season and his contract also has an option for 2011 that becomes $14 million or a $2.5 million buyout if he’s traded.
- Orioles finally lose a game when leading after seven 0
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 9
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 28
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 5
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3