Apr 22, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
After dropping to 0-3 with an 8.31 ERA with an ugly start yesterday, Aaron Harang said: “It’s bad luck. This game’s about luck. I’m going through a bad spell right now.”
Of course, as John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer points out, the “spell” of “bad luck” doesn’t just include this season. Dating back to May of last season Harang is 1-13 with a 5.41 ERA over the span of 20 starts, during which time he’s served up 23 homers in 119.2 innings while allowing opponents to hit better than .300 against him.
And going back even further, to the start of 2008, he’s 12-34 with a 4.74 ERA in 368 innings spread over 60 starts. Now, someone with a 4.74 ERA certainly doesn’t deserve a 12-34 record, so Harang is right that he’s been unlucky in that respect, but in terms of his actual performance it’s tough to call 60 starts and 368 innings worth of below-average pitching a “spell.”
However you want to classify Harang’s terrible start to this season or 12-34 record and 4.74 ERA since 2008, manager Dusty Baker was unsure about what to do with his Opening Day starter. Baker did say that moving Harang to the bullpen like the Cubs did yesterday with Carlos Zambrano isn’t an option and finding a taker for him via trade figures to be nearly impossible unless the Reds are willing to eat a bunch of salary.
Harang will make $12.5 million for this season and his contract also has an option for 2011 that becomes $14 million or a $2.5 million buyout if he’s traded.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 16
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 52
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)