And That Happened: Wednesday's Scores and Highlights

Apr 22, 2010, 5:44 AM EDT

Halladay pitching.jpgPhillies 2, Braves 0: Roy Halladay can pitch a little. The Braves threatened exactly once, in the seventh inning when they loaded the bases on hits from Chipper Jones and Brian McCann and a walk from Jason Heyward. This was the baseball equivalent of the cat letting the mouse run a few feet just so it could see the mouse run. Halladay apparently grew bored with this little exercise, however, got the double play — courtesy of some slick defense from Chase Utley — and the threat was over.  Otherwise? Pure domination (CG, SHO 7K).  For me it was like the Jiminez no-hitter the other night. Sucks that it was my team, but something to behold all the same.

Yankees 3, Athletics 1: Phil Hughes takes a no-hitter into the eighth inning but loses it on a combacker from Eric Chavez that bounched off Hughes’ left flank and eluded him long enough to allow Chavez to reach first. Nice effort all the same. The run with which he was charged was an inherited runner which Joba Chamberlain allowed to score. I’m guessing right now is probably not the best time for me to begin my “Girardi got it wrong when he picked Phil over Joba” campaign, huh?

Red Sox 8, Rangers 7: Second walkoff win in a row for the Sox, this time in the twelfth inning as Ron Washington has Dustin Nippert intentionally walk Dustin Pedroia to get to Kevin Youkilis, who then hits the game-winning double.  Walking someone to get to Youk with runners in scoring position in a tie game? Are we sure Washington is passing all those drug tests he’s supposed to be taking?

Padres 5, Giants 2: The Padres will not be stopped, as they win their sixth in a row. Jon Garland gave up one run in seven innings against a Giants’ offense that suddenly looks a lot like 2009’s version. Oh, and here’s something you don’t see every day: 18 minute rain delay in San Diego. I called my brother who lives out there to ask him what the heck was happening. He said he couldn’t talk because he was too busy gathering survival supplies and making sure his life insurance was paid up. They just don’t do rain in San Diego.

Royals 4, Blue Jays 3: There’s nothin’ wrong with Zack Greinke, it would seem, as he threw seven strong innings. His bullpen betrayed him once again, however, so he was gypped out of his first win of the year. Alex Gordon made up with an ugly day both offensively and defensively by hitting the game-winning homer in the 10th. Jose Guillen continues his torrid start, going 2-4 with a homer.

Nationals 6, Rockies 4: A victory, but Ryan Zimmerman left the game after appearing to hurt his hamstring, so we’ll put it in the “Pyrrhic” column. On the bright side, Jason Marquis was sent to the DL after the game, so that bad man can’t hurt you any more, Nats fans.

Brewers 8, Pirates 0: I’ll hand it to the Pirates: when they lose, they don’t mess around. They go out there and lose with gusto. So far this year they’ve lost games by scores of 10-2, 9-1, 15-6, 9-3, 6-0, 8-1, and 8-0. It’s almost a courtesy when you think about it. It’s as if they’re telling the good people of western Pennsylvania “Hey, it’s cool. You can turn the game off now and go make sandwiches with fries in them or whatever it is you do all day. There’s no chance we’ll make it close.”

Astros 5, Marlins 4: How it is you take two of three from Philly and then look bad against Houston two nights in a row is a mystery to me. It’s like the Marlins are an NBA team or something. Lance Berkman was caught stealing third at one point in this game. What possible reason would Lance Berkman have for stealing third base?

Twins 6, Indians 0: An eerie start for the Erie warriors as they drop a heartbreaker to the Twins, six to nothing.  Francisco Liriano allows zero runs for the second straight time. Michael Cuddyer had a two-run triple and a homer. David Huff walked six guys. He tried for the corner and missed a lot. Not sure how those guys could lay off pitches that close.

Cubs 9, Mets 3: Alfonso Soriano (3-4, 3B, HR, 3 RBI) shows everyone that he belongs in the lineup and Carlos Silva (6 IP, 2 H, 1 ER)  shows everyone that he belongs in the rotation. After the game, however, Lou Piniella reassigned Silva to pitch batting practice and reassigned Soriano to a job as a Dippin’ Dots vendor. Lou said they were each cool with it. After this game Ike Davis’ line stands at .273/.273/.273, which is kind of cool unless you’re interested in Ike Davis producing and stuff.

Dodgers 14, Reds 6: The Aaron Harang contract drive continues (5.2 IP, 10 H, 6 ER).

Rays 12, White Sox 0: Mark Buehrle fell just nine hits, six runs and a walk short of his second straight perfect game against the Rays.

Cardinals 9, Diamondbacks 4: Tied into the ninth and then the absolute worst bullpen in the game allows St. Louis to score five. This after Arizona had come back from being down 3-0 in the 1st. Two homers for Colby Rasmus, the second of which provided the winning margin. A three-run job from Skip Shumaker in the final frame was nice insurance.  This one was sprinkled with extra fun too, as the benches cleared when Chris Carpenter, running the bases after getting hit by an Edwin Jackson pitch, tried to take out Kelly Johnson on a double play.  The dude would be pitching the next half inning so you’d think he’d just wait to hit someone himself, but I guess Carpenter is a team-first guy and would rather not get ejected in his efforts to maim the opposition.

Mariners 4, Orioles 1:  I have Monday morning in the when-is-Dave-Trembley-getting-fired pool. It’s an off day right after a road trip. Saves the team an extra plane ticket getting Trembley back home and everything. Just really good timing, ya know?

Tigers 4, Angels 3: The first batter Brian Fuentes faces after coming back from the DL — Miguel Cabrera — homers off him in the 9th inning, tying up the game. A couple batters later Ramon Santiago singles in Gerald Laird for what would be the game winner.  Mike Scioscia should be commended for his loyalty to the Fue
ntes, but it ain’t like the
team had any trouble closing games out while he was out.

1. wintermath - Apr 22, 2010 at 6:34 AM

“An eerie start for the Erie warriors as they drop a heartbreaker to the Twins”
    – what was so heartbreaking? They weren’t close, they aren’t playing for anything, and they are the freeking indians….

2. Old Gator - Apr 22, 2010 at 7:13 AM

How it is that you take two of three from the Feelies is, you play over your own head for a short stretch and catch ‘em during a slump. How it is that you lose two of three from a league doormat is, you revert to form. Last night was a simple combination of the two key weaknesses in the Feesh’s defense – fielding (Hanley Ramirez makes a key error that leads to an unearned run), and another boolpen meltdown. Josh Johnson pitched six pretty effective innings, giving up two earned runs (three total), and then the Teal Farenehit 451 guys came out and burned down the house. In this case the culprit was the maddeningly erratic Burke Badenhop, who was on one of his off nights – 3 hits, two earned runs in one inning of…er…relief work. Every time that Feesh boolpen gate swings open, it’s like a lock on the Niagra canal letting more lampreys into Lake Ontario.
    As I’ve been kvetching since before spring training, if the Feesh thought they were going to contend effectively with that boolpen, they were really kidding themselves. Larry Beinfest can wheel and deal all he likes, and though the results can indeed be entertaining at times, this franchise’s budget strangulation by its bloodsucking owenership isn’t going to let it rise above mediocrity. And why should it? Scrooge and his Chihuahua have long since figured out that the nutritious combination of luxury tax money from teams that are actually trying to win and the Feesh’s broadcast revenues more than fill the money bin. The few shekels they accumulate at the gate from the few fans who apparently find honor in being treated with contempt are just the corkscrews in McLoria’s Dom Perignon bottle. It’s a shame.
    Moreover, I’ve cited on multiple occasions this past week the long-standing pattern of this team to give their elite competition fits and then to turn hapless in the clutches of the second division. Late last season they came back, technically if not spiritually still in “contention,” from winning a series against the Feelies, then lost a bunch of games to the Gnats and began their inglourious swan dive towards third place, where by the grace of a couple of layers of decaying organic matter called the Mutts and the Gnats they rested at season’s end.

3. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 22, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Go watch “Major League” and call me in the morning.

4. Jonny5 - Apr 22, 2010 at 8:31 AM

Well so much for that “mattress” on first base huh Craig??? Howard did a split to get a guy out on a poorly thrown ball, and multiple crazy grabs to get the base runners out. It seemed to me most of the possible hits the Braves had were slapping leather in the big mans hand last night which he had to eat dirt to grab. I’m thinking Halladay is liking his new found defense, he can now allow contact with the ball without thinking he’ll lose the game. And a nice demonstation of why Victorino is called the Flyin’ Hawaiian. Have you ever seen a guy 5′ tall make such a grab? Anyway, the series is tied at 1 each and the “Old Geezer” is going to be on the mound. Which old geezer will we see tonight? There’s the one who choughs up plenty of runs while praying the offense can top what he’s allowed, then there’s the old geezer who seems to have found the fountain of youth and looks like a magician tricking guys with 70 – 80 something tosses. It was a good game last night, a pitchers gem, 2-0 with two awesome offenses on the field.

5. Moses Green - Apr 22, 2010 at 8:49 AM

The Feesh are no better against the better teams, it’s a lie of the mind. Philly and Florida are similar in that they have two starters each. Nate Robertson is a heartbeat away from showing once again that he’s actually chum in the water, Volstad can’t succeed without striking some people out, and Sanchez hasn’t found his way back yet. JJ and Nolasco are lovely, just wonderful. Too bad they have to pitch 8 innings to get a win.
    On a happier subject, are you taking your Llama act on the road or was this a limited time engagement? And didn’t I also read in the paper that it was one of Margo’s brothers’ birthday?

6. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Apr 22, 2010 at 8:59 AM

An eerie start for the Erie warriors as they drop a heartbreaker to the Twins, six to nothing… He tried for the corner and missed a lot. Not sure how those guys could lay off pitches that close.

Ah, there’s the ATH we’ve come to know and love

7. enough already - Apr 22, 2010 at 9:01 AM

You know, Craig, if you don’t have anything nice to say, shut up and watch the video.

8. YankeesfanLen - Apr 22, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Craig, are you getting elitist living in Columbus? Last I observed the “sandwiches with fries in them” belt starts somewhere after the horsemeat and velveeta belt (somewhere around Altoona) and goes all the way to the environs around public transportation on Waveland.

9. Kelly - Apr 22, 2010 at 9:24 AM

I’m not sure if I’m allowed to reply here anymore since I have a sense of humor and have seen one of the greatest baseball movies ever made and I am easily amused by a “game” and all that…
    …but I’ll give it a quick shot.
    If Liriano continues to look how he has looked, the Twins will win 95 games. The last two starts make me hate the Santana trade just a little bit less.

10. David - Apr 22, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Not to pick on the Mets because it’s so easy and all, but hyperbole much? “extends his legend”? It was a nice catch leaning over the railing and he fell over, super. It wasn’t like Wright diving into the stands to make the catch or Jeter w/the catch at fullspeed and then diving into the crowd. Let’s pump the brakes here kid. He singled in his first AB. Ya that’s nice, it’s no 3 run 450 ft hr, but sure it’s nice, you enjoy the small victories and take them where you can get them. Lord knows Mets fans deserve it these days.

11. Old Gator - Apr 22, 2010 at 9:48 AM

Oh baby, it ain’t no lie except maybe in Mark Twain terms. It’s just statistics. If it were anything else, you wouldn’t be able to read back over my last few posts of the previous week and bow down in awe at my prognosticative puissance. I’m almost as good at this as Mike Celizic now. Heee hee hee.
    Ackcherley, this Llama is on the road, but I’ll be home tomorrow. If I have business to attend to somewhere in the frozen north and the Junkies are going to be playing anywhere near there, I usually schedule my trip so I can catch the show as well as take car of whatever it is. So far I haven’t become one of those migrating Llamas that follow the tour around for weeks at a time. But the show last night was so good and their new album, Renmin Park, is so intriguing that I could change my mind. You can go to their web site and stream the whole thing at yourself for free. I also brought along an old pal who lives up here, Buddha be merciful to him, who had never seen them live. I have a habit of bringing Junkies virgins to the shows. Another day, another mitzva. At this rate, I’ll be a Llamadvovnik pretty soon. Heh….

12. enough already - Apr 22, 2010 at 9:55 AM

I said watch the video not read the headline.

13. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Apr 22, 2010 at 10:18 AM

I said watch the video not read the headline.

Craig references his terrible batting line, and you link a video of him making a catch? Is there a second video showing him hitting because that’s what Craig was talking about?

14. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 22, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Nice catch. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not hating on Davis. I like the guy and think he’ll be good. The reference to the batting line wasn’t meant as a dig. Just way to make it clear that my finding it to be “neat” was a comment about its symmetry, not its quality.

15. Will - Apr 22, 2010 at 10:35 AM

By coincidence, I watched Major League last night. I could almost hear Bob Uecker’s voice when I read that line.
    wv: Parliament astounds: Commentary on the UK elections, or a cigarette ad?

16. enough already - Apr 22, 2010 at 11:28 AM

There’s more to baseball than hitting, is my point. And, Craig, I know, I got it. I was there last night and thought it was a particularly pretty play.

17. Ron - Apr 22, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Did you get stuck in a time warp and end up in the 30’s?

18. peteinfla - Apr 22, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Hey Gator – 2 minor points:
    First, Champagne never really requires a corkscrew. Second, I suspect that Loria is way to frugal to be drinking Dom Perignon unless someone ELSE paid for it. He seems much more likely to be consuming a bottle of Andre or Korbel, purchased for $7.99 at Costco, than anything that would resemble a decent or good Champagne.

19. DK - Apr 22, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Ike Davis is .273/.333/.273. Walked once on Tuesday.

20. Jonny5 - Apr 22, 2010 at 1:35 PM

I don’t think so….. Was awesome even a word back then? I’ll think about it after I get back from dragging my Hot patootie to the soda fountain.

21. Old Gator - Apr 22, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Well, since two gulps of O’Doule’s can floor me I make no claim to authority about champagne, or any other alcoholic beverage for that matter. About the only wine I drink is that Manischewitz concord grape Passover syrup for matzo brei when I’m hogtied into attending a seder, and I limit my beer intake to the occasional Framboise Lambic float with a scoop of Cherry Garcia. And my wife has to drive.
    I somehow suspect that Scrooge McLoria spends about as freely as he wants on himself, and that his niggardliness is reserved for his payroll. Remember that scene in Eight Men Out when Charley Comiskey rewarded his guys for winning the pennant with a few bottles of flat champagne?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4081)