Apr 22, 2010, 12:41 PM EDT
Andre Dawson is reportedly being sued by “a publicly funded organization that cares for poor and disabled adults” that alleges “his family’s funeral home business reneged on a deal to provide prepaid memorial services and burials for deceased clients.”
Here’s more from the Miami Herald:
One man’s corpse lay in limbo for weeks because Dawson’s Grace Memorial Funeral Home refused to accept the remains, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday in Miami-Dade Circuit Court. …
[Dawson's] brother insisted that their company did not break an existing contract because the prepaid funerals and cemetery plots were sold illegally by a previous owner. “We are victims and just as innocent.” … Lawyers for the Guardianship Program disagree. They say Dawson and Brown must bury anyone covered under the prepaid plans. The suit seeks more than $15,000 in damages.
Apparently the Guardianship Program bought seven prepaid burial plots from a funeral home that was later sold to Dawson and his brother, who then refused to honor the contracts while explaining that the previous owner “just pocketed the money” instead of making the proper arrangements.
I obviously have no idea who’s in the right here, but I do know that owning a funeral home and being sued for refusing to honor prepaid burial contracts for “elderly, mentally disabled or people otherwise deemed unable to care for themselves” doesn’t come off looking particularly good.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 63
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)