Apr 22, 2010, 12:41 PM EST
Andre Dawson is reportedly being sued by “a publicly funded organization that cares for poor and disabled adults” that alleges “his family’s funeral home business reneged on a deal to provide prepaid memorial services and burials for deceased clients.”
Here’s more from the Miami Herald:
One man’s corpse lay in limbo for weeks because Dawson’s Grace Memorial Funeral Home refused to accept the remains, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday in Miami-Dade Circuit Court. …
[Dawson’s] brother insisted that their company did not break an existing contract because the prepaid funerals and cemetery plots were sold illegally by a previous owner. “We are victims and just as innocent.” … Lawyers for the Guardianship Program disagree. They say Dawson and Brown must bury anyone covered under the prepaid plans. The suit seeks more than $15,000 in damages.
Apparently the Guardianship Program bought seven prepaid burial plots from a funeral home that was later sold to Dawson and his brother, who then refused to honor the contracts while explaining that the previous owner “just pocketed the money” instead of making the proper arrangements.
I obviously have no idea who’s in the right here, but I do know that owning a funeral home and being sued for refusing to honor prepaid burial contracts for “elderly, mentally disabled or people otherwise deemed unable to care for themselves” doesn’t come off looking particularly good.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)