Apr 22, 2010, 12:41 PM EDT
Andre Dawson is reportedly being sued by “a publicly funded organization that cares for poor and disabled adults” that alleges “his family’s funeral home business reneged on a deal to provide prepaid memorial services and burials for deceased clients.”
Here’s more from the Miami Herald:
One man’s corpse lay in limbo for weeks because Dawson’s Grace Memorial Funeral Home refused to accept the remains, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday in Miami-Dade Circuit Court. …
[Dawson’s] brother insisted that their company did not break an existing contract because the prepaid funerals and cemetery plots were sold illegally by a previous owner. “We are victims and just as innocent.” … Lawyers for the Guardianship Program disagree. They say Dawson and Brown must bury anyone covered under the prepaid plans. The suit seeks more than $15,000 in damages.
Apparently the Guardianship Program bought seven prepaid burial plots from a funeral home that was later sold to Dawson and his brother, who then refused to honor the contracts while explaining that the previous owner “just pocketed the money” instead of making the proper arrangements.
I obviously have no idea who’s in the right here, but I do know that owning a funeral home and being sued for refusing to honor prepaid burial contracts for “elderly, mentally disabled or people otherwise deemed unable to care for themselves” doesn’t come off looking particularly good.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)