Apr 22, 2010, 12:41 PM EDT
Andre Dawson is reportedly being sued by “a publicly funded organization that cares for poor and disabled adults” that alleges “his family’s funeral home business reneged on a deal to provide prepaid memorial services and burials for deceased clients.”
Here’s more from the Miami Herald:
One man’s corpse lay in limbo for weeks because Dawson’s Grace Memorial Funeral Home refused to accept the remains, according to a lawsuit filed Wednesday in Miami-Dade Circuit Court. …
[Dawson's] brother insisted that their company did not break an existing contract because the prepaid funerals and cemetery plots were sold illegally by a previous owner. “We are victims and just as innocent.” … Lawyers for the Guardianship Program disagree. They say Dawson and Brown must bury anyone covered under the prepaid plans. The suit seeks more than $15,000 in damages.
Apparently the Guardianship Program bought seven prepaid burial plots from a funeral home that was later sold to Dawson and his brother, who then refused to honor the contracts while explaining that the previous owner “just pocketed the money” instead of making the proper arrangements.
I obviously have no idea who’s in the right here, but I do know that owning a funeral home and being sued for refusing to honor prepaid burial contracts for “elderly, mentally disabled or people otherwise deemed unable to care for themselves” doesn’t come off looking particularly good.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1