Apr 22, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
Mike Lowell was 2 for 4 with a solo homer, a walk and an RBI single in place of the slumping David Ortiz last night. And he’s going to get the start again tonight.
Yesterday I mentioned the Red Sox killing three birds with one stone. Lowell’s hot bat and presence in the lineup against the Rangers is definitely a two-stone job: it gives the team some DH production which was previously absent and it shows the Rangers that the guy they once wanted is healthy and hitting.
I’m not sure that Max Ramirez is still any kind of answer for the Red Sox — that proposed trade was a long time ago and the needs of each team is now different — but you have to wonder if the Rangers (or someone else for that matter) aren’t taking a second look at Mike Lowell. Texas’ catching situation is a mess, but from chaos often springs opportunity.
That is, if the Red Sox feel that they can afford to give him up. Because if he keeps hitting, he may just take the DH job away from Big Papi.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)