Apr 22, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
Mike Lowell was 2 for 4 with a solo homer, a walk and an RBI single in place of the slumping David Ortiz last night. And he’s going to get the start again tonight.
Yesterday I mentioned the Red Sox killing three birds with one stone. Lowell’s hot bat and presence in the lineup against the Rangers is definitely a two-stone job: it gives the team some DH production which was previously absent and it shows the Rangers that the guy they once wanted is healthy and hitting.
I’m not sure that Max Ramirez is still any kind of answer for the Red Sox — that proposed trade was a long time ago and the needs of each team is now different — but you have to wonder if the Rangers (or someone else for that matter) aren’t taking a second look at Mike Lowell. Texas’ catching situation is a mess, but from chaos often springs opportunity.
That is, if the Red Sox feel that they can afford to give him up. Because if he keeps hitting, he may just take the DH job away from Big Papi.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)